Longest blooming purple for 1/2 day sun, but not scabiosa??

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Two of my favorite perennials that I have are red valarian(pink) and coreopsis(yellow) both bloom from May til frost. I plan on adding white valarien which is also a long bloomer. I would like to find one deep purple that also blooms from May til frost, I have lots of purple but none that bloom for this long. Any ideas??

Greenfield, IN(Zone 5b)

Puple cone flower???

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Zinnia, I have a perrenial that grows 3-4 ft, spreads prolificly on it's root system, and has large purple, bell shaped flowers, dark green foilage. It blooms in sun or shade, from June till first frost. It is also very tolerant to heat and drought.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Is it campanula persicifolia, peach-leaved bellflower? I have this but it only blooms until July here.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Zinnia, if you don't find a perennial that you like, you might try a tender perennial which is usually treated as an annual: "Blue Bedder" or "Victoria" Salvia. They will usually reseed, and they have a wonderful cottage garden feel to them with deep intense blue spikes and silvery leaves.

eyesoftexas, welcome neighbor! Wish you knew the name of that plant...sounds like something I want...do the grasshoppers leave it alone too?

Powhatan, VA(Zone 6b)

Verbena " Homestead Purple".

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

hardy geraniums.

how purple is your purple? there are hardy Osteospermums that are on the purple side of pink

Mark

Some of these tend more to the bluish side but try any of the veronicas, purple phlox, perovskia, adenophora, aconitum, lavender, platycodon, perennial salvias, verbena venosa, and maybe some purple asters for fall color. Don't overlook butterfly bush either, they look great in the perennial border. Look for some of the smaller hybrids like Nanho Blue or Purple. They can be whacked back in the spring if they get too large and they will come back better than ever. There are not alot of May to frost blooming perennials, however the ones mentioned here will give a generous display from mid summer on and some a bit longer. All of these prefer full sun.

.....but half a day of sun (especially afternoon sun) should suffice.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

eyesoftexas, sounds like the flower you have might be mexican petunia. I grow that also. It's one of the ruellias.

south central, WI(Zone 5a)

eyesoftexes, yours sound like my adenaphora-lady bells, when they are done blooming , I cut way back and get a fall bloom. For constant color, I can second, the salvias, veronicas,purple coneflower, and butterfly bush--if you keep dead heading, you will have color until frost.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.