Trombocino Beauties...

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Howdy Folks! I just had to show this "harvest"!

Ya'll have seen some of the pics of the earlier-picked Trombocino that some of us have posted. These are ones I just let "free range"! They are so fun to grow (and eat!). I doubt these are still edible at this stage; I mainly grew them out for seed stock and, like I said, for fun! I just love how big they can get and their shapes are fantastic!

I wish I could dry them, like a craft gourd, but I doubt that will work. Being meaty inside (not hollow like a craft gourd) I imagine they will just rot.

Delicious to eat (when in the green stage), beautiful to see growing, and a marvel to behold!

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
barrington, IL(Zone 5a)

where did you get your seeds originally? these are fantastic!!

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Another DGer sent me a few seeds a couple yrs back; I saved seeds from that harvest.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Neat!!!

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

For those looking for a commercial source of seed.
www.reneesgarden.com
I am sure that I have seen it somewhere else also.

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

horseshoe - i have grown them (or something very similar) for years but never thought to let them get to that stage. i usually pick them still green. thanks for the pics.

Bethelridge, KY(Zone 6a)

Shoe, how do you cook these in the green stage, as you would a summer squash?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Herbie, I've picked my share of them when green for eating...these bigguns I grew out for seedstock and for pleasure!

Red...when they are small and skinny they can be eaten raw, sliced into salads or dipped into a dressing. When they get a little more size on them I sliced them and basted them with olive oil/garlic/black pepper and grilled some that way. (They go great on shish kabobs!)

Have also sautee'd/cooked them in a big black skillet along with some onions (used olive oil) and again, garlic and other seasonings. Once the flavors blend you can add a splash of water, put on a lid, then steam them a short time.

Also did the "hobo wrap" with some: sliced trombo, onions, garlic, tomato if you like, etc, drizzile a seasonng over it all (Italian dressing?), wrapped in foil then thrown on the grill or can be baked in the oven.

Friends of mine baked one, like a squash, and said it was delish! (I'm tempted to try baking one of these matured ones and see how they do.)

Cypress, TX(Zone 9a)

I saute them with caramelized onions and tomatoes. I partially steam them first.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Shoe, They are actually a version of the butternut. Have you tried them as a winter (mature) squash.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

foolcontrol, sounds delish to me. They sure are a very versatile crop, aren't they!?

F-dill...Yes! As an update, I stored several of those big ones in the pic above in my shoffice and ate the last one in February! Although several rotted (some were stored outside, my fault) quite a few hardened/cured nicely. The end of February I cut some of the neck off of one, peeled the hard skin off with a potato peeler, sliced the meat and cooked it in a pan with onions/garlic, etc. It was delish!

Some of the rest of it I ended up baking, (with a bit of brown sugar, of course!) and it was a very nice treat in the dead of Winter!

Shoe

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Wow Shoe never see like that.... that is cool!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.