Pressure treated lumber (again) Sorry!

League City, TX(Zone 9a)

We are framing our greenhouse next weekend. The plan was to frame the entire structure in cedar except for the bottom plate. Today, after checking the difference in the cost of 2x4 cedar and 2x4 treated lumber I am wondering if treated would be ok everywhere except the roof top plate and roof beams.
The wood purchased for the bottom plate indicates it has alkaline copper quartenary compounds.
The greenhouse floor will have a 3-4 foot brick path with gravel on both sides. Nothing will be grown in the soil. I will have a huge amount of hanging baskets (Hoya and Epi's) and potted plants (assorted tropicals and plumeria) and a few assorted bromeliads.
I need advice quick! Thanks in advance for your guidance.

Thumbnail by NightBloomer54
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

we used treated wood on the bottom frame of mine 4yrs ago! everything seems ok!!

League City, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey notmartha,
What type of wood did you use for studs on the walls? Did you use pressure treated lumber?
Susan

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

use the pressure treated lumber

Some so called treated lumber is treated for insect only,ie Landscape timbers, and will rot when exposed to almost constant moisture. You want "ground contact" as well as insect treated.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

dAll above good advice. My gh is going on 10 years old, and used pressure treated. No problems. used 2 x 6 for walls and 6 mil clear plastic (polypropolene??) for inside sheeting for dead air space for isulation purposes. The inside does need to be redone next summer. Be sure to keep on taking pictures, you will be glad to have the before pictures. Good luck Donna

League City, TX(Zone 9a)

We now have walls..this is taking so much longer than ever thought. Daylight faded to dusk just as we were starting to cut roof beams. The night time temperatures are back in the 60's so I've started migrating some of the Hoya back outdoors. Hopefully by the end of Thanksgiving week the GH will at least be dried in.

League City, TX(Zone 9a)

One more photo. The greenhouse is 10x16 with 8ft walls...

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

Hey, Has any one ever used the metal wall studs ?

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

yes we used the pressure treated 8ft post and cemented them in 4ft down and then cut off the extra!

Stockport, OH(Zone 6b)

I have a 12X12 greenhouse built from pressure treated 2X4's, the base sits on railroad ties and it is full of gravel to the top of the railroad ties. After some "reading up" this summer I painted all the wood surfaces with while semi gloss, for two reasons, the chemicals in the treated lumber will break down your plastic faster, and.........you wouldn't believe the difference in the amount of light in the greenhouse, even though it is only the frame painted white! Was a tedious job but well worth it, even if just for the light factor. I posted pictures on this forum when we built it, was fall of 2002. Hope this helps

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.