Aristolochia gigantea

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Can this Aristolochia grow in full sun? I did look it up but I'm a little puzzled b/c the other Aristolochias need part shade and there weren't alot of opinions about this one. Also, do pipevine cats eat this one?

Will it bloom 1st year from seed or should I aquire a plant and does anyone have either to trade?

TY

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I grew mine in full sun last summer. It seemed to bloom in flushes. The four Aristolochias in Logee's catalog show they can grow in partial or full sun. I think I just read recently on a thread in here that they take a couple of years to bloom from seed. I cut my plant back when I brought it inside, so it is just starting to grow again. Wish I had thought about people wanting it.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I purchased one on ebay, it showed it as having a flower but when I got it, it is a healthy vine and tall but no sign of a bloom, Brugie do you know how long it takes to bloom.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

It is in full sun in south Texas and is taking over a fence and blooming like crazy!

Navarre (NW FL), FL(Zone 8b)

Kareoke,
If yours is from a cutting (and most likely it is) it shouldn't be long before it blooms (as the seasons allow). Good luck.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Darn..I posted here and it didn't evidently make it. I got my plant in the spring and had my first bloom on Aug. 2nd.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Yep, they take two or three years to bloom from seed. Cuttings that are taken from a blooming size plant shouldn't take too long, like Brugie and Bugfreak said, they should bloom within a year.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

mine is a good sized plant and getting more vines

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Darn, I just ordered seeds.

CaptMicha,
I wish I had known you were looking for this.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Do you have cuttings? I'd really like to trade for some if you do and if I have something you're looking for.

Well,
I have better than that. I have ROOTED cuttings. I would love to see what you've got. We've gotta hurry. Things here are getting chilly. I hope we can trade soon. I think I may stop shipping after next week if things keep getting any cooler.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.