Can anyone help me please??

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Yesterday my computer locked up. I did a restart and a screen came up that I've never seen, said there was a problem with a registry file and that it was restoring it from a backup.

I started getting the error "Explorer caused an invalid page fault in module Kernel32.dll at 0167:bffc06af" I believe I got this error before the above registry message.

When I clicked to close the error box, it would take me to the Active Desktop Recovery screen. At that point I could still access the internet but had a lot of lockups. I went to the site for my virus software (PcCillin), to buy my update which was expiring yesterday.

I saved the download to my desktop, then tried to download the upgrade from the site. Got an error that I didn't write down, so I exited and tried loading from the copy on my desktop, got the same error.

I could at this point still access the internet. I was trying to go to the Microsoft site to do a search on this error and locked up again.

Now when I restart the computer all I get is the above "Explorer error message" I can not get on the internet or open any of my files, just get this error over and over again.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If I took this to a computer shop, can you tell if this would be something they could correct so that I don't lose all of my photos, spreadsheets etc....of course out of laziness I haven't backed up in over a year.

Any help would be so very appreciated. I am the "pulling my hair out" stage.

Thanks,
Vicki

This thread has 15 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!