Fall glimpse for those that don't have it!

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

Here's a picture I thought some might enjoy. A misty fall day here in central NY state, for those who don't get the change of seasons!

Thumbnail by lmelling
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Pretty in your neck of the woods in fall colors. That mist is mighty thick looking. Thanks from the desert.... Blooms

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

We're heading to Phoenix in February for a week - trade off for the hard winter here. Last winter was really long and by mid winter I was soooo depressed!!! (Winter started in October and lasted until March!).

Moab is beautiful, we spent a couple days there looking at Arches and Dead Horse Point (I think that's the name??) several years ago in spring, then went down through monument valley to Zion and Bryce for a couple of days then through the Grand Canyon on our way to Tucson. It was a beautiful sunny day when we left the motel...all the way to the Grand Canyon. But when we entered the park a snowstorm hit - blizzard conditions that dumped 5 inches of snow. We never got to see the canyon and had one "H" of a time driving to Tucson the next morning! When we come back in Feb., we're going to try again.

I just love the whole area - from Yellowstone all the way down to Arizona. It's our regular "get away" area!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Looks pretty inviting right now, though. Nice shot!

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks! It really is pretty here when the mists come in. We live just a little ways up one of the hills that surround a Hollow. We're up high enough that sometimes the low clouds will actually come right through the Hollow - it's pretty cool when it happens.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Yeah I bet! I have seen the ocean fogs move through California's Coast Range like that.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Imelling, I love it here when I'm driving up above the clouds... and then the drive down through them.

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

LOL...Oh not me! I like to sit on my front porch and watch them go by - but not drive through them!!!

Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

Imelling, I live on the west side of Seneca Lake and think that we live in one of the most beautiful areas. I love it in the morning when what I call the "Seneca Express Train", (the low clouds that hang over the lake) start moving north, then I can hope that we will have a nice day. It is also great to watch the squalls in the winter time come rolling through. We live right across from the Wagner Winery and when we have had lunch at the Jenny Lynn Cafe we can look right at our house.

BTW welcome to DG, it is the greatest place to visit and find all kinds of information.
-Joy

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks Joy, glad to meet you neighbor! Yes, we went on the wine trail up around Seneca and Keuka twice this year when relatives came up. We've been to Wagners, but ate at the Red Newt instead. On the last trip the day was threatening rain part of the day and the clouds coming over the lakes was breathtaking.

We live on the east side of Cayuga back behind Cornell in Ellis Hollow. We can't see the lake but the woods are a good trade off. We're high enough that every once in a while we get a glimpse of the northern lights here. Do you see them there ever? People who have never been to the fingerlakes don't realize just how beautiful the terrain is here!
Lynne

Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

Lynne, it has been years since we have seen northern lights. We keep looking out at night but we are surrounded by woods on the north and west sides of our property. Many nights in August we would haul out the old mattress and blankets to watch the meteor shower. The kids, cats and dog would pile right in with us and we would have a great time. ( We would even hear the deer snorting across the road, I guess we were invading there territory!) We never saw to many, but our son would always see "dozens to our two or three. (lol). We did so enjoy the meteor shower 2 Novembers ago. WOW We waited all night and when they started raining down at about 5:30 a.m. we were almost breathless. A sight we will never forget!

We sure do have great terrain. We live on the edge of a gully that would make a drinking person move! My mom was always afraid the our kids would fall over it. Needless to say it was a wonderful playground for them to hike, climb, wade and catch all kinds of critters to bring back home. My husband has just built a new bedroom on the ground floor with a 4' x 8' window overlooking the gully so we can bird, deer or whatever watch all the better! We are so close to the lake that it can be raining here and up on route 14 it is snowing and if you go up to the next major highway route 14A there has been 9 inches of snow to our rain........you gotta love it!

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

Our trees and the ones on the next hill to the north are getting so tall that it's harder to see the lights, but every once in a while we'll get a night where if you look off towards where the lake is, you'll see the movement around and over the trees.

One August night, about 5 years ago I was sitting out on my front porch about 10:30 at night and all of a sudden I thought I was hallucinating - it was like magnetic smoke or clouds rolling overhead - almost in slow motion, yet fast (I know that sounds crazy but it really defies words!). I was just mesmerized for about 15 minutes watching it. I ended up emailing a station up in Alaska that monitors magnetic activity and described what I was seeing, and they said most definitely it was the magnetic activity associated with the lights - they were really far south at that point. We don't get all the colors like they do up in Alaska, but the light show and strange magnetic behavior was awesome. It's like being given a gift!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

The Northern Lights are truly awesome - lived in Adirondacks for years and saw them on occasion. Imagine my surprise to see them here in mid-Utah thrice in the last 5 years. O' course last year the sun was misbehaving.

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

Wow - didn't think about seeing them in Utah, but then out where you are there it's big sky! I saw a picture when I was out there of the comet a few years back suspended over one of the arches (I think). I guess no matter where you live, you can really appreciate the beauty all around you!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

My kids remember being dragged out of bed, stuffed into snosuits and bundled out doors to watch one of the most memorable displays in the Adirondacks. The youngest admits no memory of the lights - but remembers the night.

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

LOL!! Yes, depending on how old they were at the time, they're probably more apt to remember being bundled out there - not what they saw. Funny how you appreciate these things a lot more when you get older!

I remember feeling very humbled and filled with awe when I saw them - like I said, "It's like being given a gift." I tried to explain it to my husband, who just shrugged. He doesn't know what he missed!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

That's true, it's something a picture won't show. and words won't explain. lucky us.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

In Alaska, some say they have heard them. I never did, although I lived in the Tanana Valley, one of the best places there is to experience them.

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

Yes, I heard tell that there is sometimes noise associated with them, but I don't remember there being any with what I saw - of course, I was a bit spellbound just with the visual aspects....too much input for my poor little brain!!! I'd love to have the "full experience" someday!

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

They say that it is a crackling sound (electrical?). I have thought that since it looks electrical that the "sound" is expected. I don't know. I do know I like what you said about it being a gift. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.