New Picture of P. alata

Midway, NC(Zone 7b)

I first posted this as a reply to the posting of the small picture but thought it would show up better if was a new issue. The first pic was cropped, using Print Screen, from this picture and obviously too small. I reduced the original 1800 x 1200 to 640 x 427 and it now looks ok. You can see my shadow as I am taking the pic. Woody

Thumbnail by Baldeagle
Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Very good looking plant, Woody. Wish I had any fence left to put mine on lol.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Beautiful bloom and I love the shadow too. LOL!

Mesilla Park, NM

OOOh, that is so pretty.. you are so lucky . Has anyone tried pollinating this one?

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

I love this bloom! Its beautiful! I cant wait for mine to do its thing.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

what a lovely flower, do they set out seeds.

Doris

Midway, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Kareoke from Indiana, my home State, born in New Albany and lived several years near Muncie IN, before we moved out of state in 1965. Is the tree on the court house roof still alive?
In answer to your question, I believe they form a pod as do the other Passiflora. The flowers on my vine are still in the budding and flowering stage and therefore I can't answer from my own knowledge. The vine was planted late in the season and the buds are now shivering during the 40 and 50 degree nights. I had better cut the vine and place it in a pot to be stored in the garage until next spring. Woody

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Yes the tree is still there, They still trim it every five years, it is very healthy. two years ago it became even more famouse when Ripleys Believe It Or Not were here took pictures, and did a story about it while the man was up on the high top ladder trimming it.
If you happen to get seeds and do trading for SASE please remember me :)

Midway, NC(Zone 7b)

I am a little new at this, but please tell me what SASE means, if it is different than (self addressed stamped envelop). If I obtain seeds I will certainly notify you. And thanks for the info on the tree. btw. I graduated from Sulpher Springs in 1936, in a senior class of 7 boys and 7 girls. The school no longer exists, replaced by a larger school, serving more than just a township as did SSHS. Woody

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Woody...when you cut it back you could try rooting the cuttings in water (just the tips of the cuttings, about 4-6 inches long). It worked for me! Fairly easy to get some extra plants that way!

(And yes, SASE is what you said above.)

Midway, NC(Zone 7b)

Hi Shoe, thanks a lot for the tip on rooting. I will have several tips and that will sure help as the vine flowered too late to develop pods for seeds. I gotta watch that rooting, just to be sure my dog don't stand in water too long. One dog at a time is sufficient!! Woody

Midway, NC(Zone 7b)

Shoe, as you know we have frost in our forecast for tomorrow morning, temps in the 30's. I saddly cut the P. Alata vine down this evening, saving 7 tips, which I have placed in 2 glasses of water. I thought I had some "rooting starter" but was wrong. I will try to find some the next time I am in town. I have a question, if I am successful in getting roots to form won't I need to pot the slips and grow them inside this winter? HUH? I will pot the plant tomorrow and let it hybernate in the cool garage. The moon plant is still blooming but I imagine it will bite the dust tomorrow. And so ends my first season playing around with vines. I have certainly learned a lot, starting with seeing Poison Ivy, Poison Oak vines and wild morning glory vines, and now entering the mysterious world of Passiflora vines. Thanks for all the information given to me from the helpful members of DG. Woody, alias Bald Eagle

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

baldeagle just for you I went and got this picture

Thumbnail by kareoke
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

woody...it'll take several weeks (maybe a month!) before you see roots on those cuttings. (Change the water from time to time and keep out of direct sunlight but yet offer them indirect light) ( It would also help to put in a very small splash/teaspoon of Hydrogen Peroxide in the water.)

Anyhoooo....once they root you can pot them up, if you choose. Or just leave them in the water glass till the roots begin to intertwine, then pot them up. Once they get to that point it'll be so close to planting out you'll WANT to babysit them! (If not, I'll come get 'em!)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

How big will they get by spring?

Midway, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks for the picture of the tree Kareoke. It has sure grown, the last time I saw it, in the 1930's it was very, very small, but before long they will need to cut it up for 2 x 4's!! Not!! And thanks Shoe for the additional information. I would have given up after a couple of weeks, but will hang in there until they begin to grow. The cuttings are very healthy, some having tendricles 5 inches long, reaching out for support. I had to remove some flower buds but I left the tendricles on as they may reach out and shake hands with me during the waiting period. I also double checked your first posting on the subject for the recommended measurement. They are now about 8 inches long and I will recut them, also needed to do that as I forgot to cut at an angle. We will touch base as needed this winter.

Midway, NC(Zone 7b)

This message was edited Nov 6, 2004 10:28 AM

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

imway2dumb, They'll send out roots in the water and when there are enuff they can be potted into 4 inch pots and most likely stay in those till setting out time. They are slow growers at first.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Thats good to know, thanks. Best get out there and get some slips as a hard frost is forcasted for friday morning!

Denver, CO(Zone 5b)

Oh Shoe!! Im glad to see you post this! I will give it a go! I didnt get blooms on mine this summer, but they sure wanted to try and bloom in the extra room they are in. Now most the leaves are gone. Im praying it makes it over the winter. Its such a big vine, and it truely has my heart.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Hoping for blooms for you next yr, Shelly! Also hope it fares well thru your winter babysitting!

I remember once someone here said they'll bloom on new growth so hopefully you can really revitalize it come Spring!

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

I've never been able to root cuttings of P. alata "Ruby Glow" in water, and I tried many, many times this past year. I did, however, have some success with using Oasis cubes, a rooting hormone, and a humidity dome. See this link: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/466087/ In general, this is not a good time of year to try to root cuttings. Those who have cold-sensitive passifloras and who live in areas with frost should bring their vines indoors near a sunny window. Some cold-tolerant ones, like P. caerulea and P. incarnata, will come back from the roots after being killed by frost to the ground, but most of the other kinds will be killed completely by frost and will not return. That is why they need a greenhouse or to be brought inside in the winter in colder zones.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.