Desert Willow wilting

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

I have a desert willow tree in a large area that we put mostly natives and low-water plants. The tree was about 10-12 ft when we planted it, but is now around 18-20' tall. It was doing very well until this year, when we had a very rainy June. It just has not been the same. Very few blooms, it has lost a lot of leaves and looks to be slowly fading away. I would hate to loose this wonderful tree, but fear that she is too wet! Does anyone else have any input?

I also have a smaller (6') one in the back yard, same treatment... and has lost all but the leaves on the new growth.

Thumbnail by TXMel
Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

I can't imagine what you could do but wait and see. Maybe they will bounce back next spring for you.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Unfortunately, your tree probably did get way too wet this year. If desert willows are watered much at all the branches become weak or the tree goes into decline. I don't know what you can do for the larger tree except pray. If you can dig up the 6' tree, take most of the old soil off the roots and amend the planting hole so it is extremely fast-draining that would probably help it. So sorry you're having these problems. I would be in your shoes if it weren't for the person who gave me my tree telling me about this.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 7b)

The biggest problem that we have here, is that we are in almost solid clay. Outside the planting area, I am sure that the roots have hit the clay, and are waterlogged! It's great, for other things, that tend to dry out, as the clay really holds water, or seems to... thanks. I hope that it dries out, and the tree snaps out of it. I could stand to lose the smaller tree, but not the big one. I miss those beautiful pink orchid-like flowers and their scent!

thanks

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

I, too, have hardpan clay here in N. Calif., plus I have a high water table. I amended the soil, but also planted the shrubs and trees on top of raised beds. So far it seems to be working, but everything except the Mexican Palo Verde is still fairly small. The MPV is huge, in spite of the fact that I cut it back twice a year.

Good luck with both trees. Hopefully you'll have a fairly dry winter so they'll have a chance to recover.

Queen Creek, AZ(Zone 9a)

My next tree purchase is going to be a Desert Willow. I have well drained soil, so hopefully I won't have that problem. My nurseryman said that Desert Willows are very sensitive to too much water. I sure hope you don't lose either of your trees. My suggestion would be to try to move it into a better spot. maybe on a slight incline? I sure hope they make it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.