Trading

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

I've never traded internationally before, so i need some help, please.

I received a request from the UK. Is it legal? Troubles to expect?

Thanks
Jen

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

We can send and receive seeds from Pakistan to UK but dont know from USA to UK.

The UK seed restrictions and prohibitions relate mainly to fruit and vegetables and only then specific fruits and veg. There are some ornamentals and grasses, a list can be found on DEFRA in their plant health rules

There are changes due on January but it's something I need to look up first and have not heard that general seed trading in unrestricted seeds.

This is only relating to seeds, plants can and are a different matter, not least because the length of time in the post.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Baa, we have been having real probs. with our North American Lily Society seeds. Started last year around this time. !@#$ Homeland Security let NALS know that seeds were being returned to sender. We got around this by each country having a collection point. Seeds were inspected, issued a phytosanitary cert. Then they got through without any problems. My seeds now are all kitchen magnets or something similar, when going to US of A. Seeds are clssed as plant material. That seems to be the problem.

Inanda

Inanda

I thought the original post was regarding the problems sending seed into the UK from the US and answered only that question.

Yes it is different the other way around, several times my traders in the US have received a slip to say seeds have been destroyed. This why everyone should be aware of what is acceptable in their own region, APHIS documents on seed trading are not clear cut and open to a lot of interpretation.

(Zone 7a)

I Trade seeds and Plants UK all the time. I recently sent a huge box of plants to the UK. I had to fill out a custom form due to the size of the box. I wrote exactly what was in the box on the form. It arrived with no problem. If the box is smaller then 24 inches (total) No forms are required and you just send your package :-D

Don't bank on it after January, DEFRA is tightening the reins and a charge of £40-£60 is proposed per inspection, it may cost the person you're sending the plants to rather a lot of money

http://www.defra.gov.uk/planth/newsitems/checks.htm

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

If I'm reading right then, as long as i get it out before Jan. then all should be well?

I wasnt sure if there was an acceptable plant list, but the plant i'm wanting ot ship is Magilla Perilla.

Thanks for all the info
Jen

Isn't your Magilla Perilla an annual MSJen? (I've not grown these so I'm not sure)

Perilla isn't currently on the restricted or prohibited list, however, all plants from outside of the EU will require a phyto cert next year if the proposals go through (which is very likely) apart from the prohibited which are ... well, prohibited and need a special licence anyway. (edited to add, phyto certs are already required and have been for some time, like it is with the US)

Seeds, other than those on the list of restricted/prohibited, don't and won't require a phyto cert for entry into the UK from non-EU countries.

This message was edited Oct 30, 2004 8:04 PM

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

So i would have to have the phyto cert. in order to ship? Regardless if its now or in Jan?

I think it is an annual, but im not 100% sure. I started with 1 plant and now have it everywhere in the yard. It has the coolest colors in it.

Jen

MSJen, yes on the phyto cert but people tend to get away without using one at present, the rules are tightening next year.

It's a pretty plant!

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Thanks Baa. I appreciate your help and everyone elses.
Jen

Post a Reply to this Thread

You must log in and subscribe to Dave's Garden to post in this thread.