Info on Greenhouse

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I have a back patio I seldom use, it has a sound floor (wood) my son wants to convert it to a greenhouse for me, if we had another floor put over the wooden one, and enclosed it with Glass would it still get too much cold from underneath in the winter, be gratefull for any help.

Paxton, FL(Zone 8a)

If you do the floor right, it should be fine. I would put some of that black tar paper (or whatever it is) down first, or some of those thin insulating sheets. Then whatever flooring you want on top.

Saucier, MS(Zone 8b)

gingerlily,

I used Tar Paper a few years ago, WHAT A MESS! After a year it broke apart, plus the Moles nested under it. Taking it out took for ever, because of the small pieces. I am ordering the real thick nursery floor covering this year. I have used Cedar Mulch for the last few years, works pretty good.

Honeybee

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I guess I should have said that this Patio is up off the ground about 2' and I am wondering about the cold getting underneath

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

If you can seal up up the underside like a crawlspace, you could put insulation between the floor joists and/or or lay some thin insulation on the deck, then cover with additional flooring. Of course, the one main difference between this and a regular room in your house will be whether or not you wish to be able to allow water to drip on the floor when you water your plants. (A good amount of water on the floor on a regular basis, and insulation underneath probably won't create a very good environment - mold and mildew may set in and the insulation can quickly lose its ability to insulate if it gets wet and matted.)

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

Polystyrene foam sheets make a good water reisitant insulation to put on the floor or between the floor joists and it comes in many thickness's -- however, water on wood flooring and joists is something you need to keep from happening.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

thanks for your sugetstions, just hope he can get it worked out

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

There is a flooring (sub - floor) material called advantech used in my shed - very water resistant. Just an Idea!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.