Oct. 28

Boonies, SD(Zone 4b)

Hello folks!!
Haven't heard from anyone lately, so thought I would start a thread. It's a gorgeous day today that started out foggy and misty. The trees are all yellow and orange and so is the lawn. The wind last night blew half the leaves off the trees. The mist this morning was just heavy enough to stop the farmers from harvesting. They have been going gang-busters to try to get the crops out before the weather turns bad. Some of the fields look like a jigsaw puzzle with spots that the combines had to leave because it was too wet. My brother-in-law had 14 inches of rain this summer which is twice the normal precip. He thinks he will be harvesting corn after the ground freezes.

It's going to be costly to run the drying fans on those big bins this year. We haven't had to use ours yet as there is still corn in there from last year. The local elevator doesn't have any more room for corn, so they made a deal with DH to dump it into our pasture. They cut the fence so they wouldn't have to drive all the way around, but that was ok with DH as long as they fixed it, and as long as they clean up all the corn. The pile there is huge already. It's a bumper crop this year. Too bad the prices are so low.

We are off to Missouri tomorrow to get a dog. We have been looking at shelters on the internet for a bernese mountain dog cross and finally found one. It's going to be a flying trip as a friend of mine just lost her mother last night, so we want to be back for the funeral. It's always something, isn't it. When my friend called me last week to tell me that she was failing, I knew it would happen when we were gone. They haven't decided when the funeral will be, but I'll be going over there tonight after work. We are having parent/teacher conferences today, so I have to work until 9:00.

I still have potatoes to dig but don't know when I'm going to get that done. I dug some for my dad this morning and took them over there. I also took him some banana bread that I made last night.

KathyJo, have you gotten your heifers yet?? It's always fun to get new stock. Especially if they are tame.

Eva Mae, how is Jack doing? Well, I hope. A friend of mine had a retina detach and she said it was very painful. She needed emergency surgery and was on pain killers for a long time.

Hope everyone is well and are done with their fall gardening. I'm not, but then I never get done before the snow starts flying. (It's supposed to snow on Monday!!)

Take care everyone.
Ruth

This thread has 3 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!