Wisteria from cuttings?

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I did a search to make sure this hasn't been addressed, and I can't find anything. So, has anyone ever started Wisteria from a cutting? I'm sure you can, I just never have and can't find any seeds! Any help is appreciated. Thanks! Jamie

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Hi Texas, I think it can be done from cuttings, but it is not easy. Seed pods usually follow the flowers if they are pollinated by another species or another plant of the same species. The easiest way is to pull up any "suckers" at the base of the vines which have sprouted from surface roots. I've also been successful taking root cuttings and sprouting plants from pieces of root.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Taken from an old wisteria propagation thread:

-------Dip fresh soft tip cuttings in a mix of liquid seaweed and rooting hormone. Place cuttings in soil in small (4") container-- mist and place the hole thing in a opaque plastic bag. Make a tent out of the plastic bag. Place in warm area--- not in sun light. Bottom heat is the best. --------------

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks guys!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

I have found you can root Wisteria easily by layering. I found out the first time on accident. LOL I also have a bunch of seeds if you want some. I collected a bunch this past January and I have a bunch more about to ripen. I am just waiting for the pods to dr.

Mc Call Creek, MS

If you don't have lots of time to wait, a cutting or already rooted piece would be the best way to go. Seeds take seven years to bloom.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Very true.

Oh, I am waiting for my pods to DRY. :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.