climbing vine??

Knoxville, TN

I was out in my garden yesterday ,looking for a way to grow some vines for privacy,I noticed these mass of vines growing up and over the top of my yellow bush,The bush is at least 6or7 feet tall and I climbed around to the back of the bush,
these vines are growing all the way up to the top of my bush
They are beautiful vines, they ae shiny like ivy,but are shaped like a long folk at heart.I pulled ,and pulled as
far on both sides of the bush .lol now I need to get the center.What ae these vines,so shiny and green?? I think I have found a privacy fence for this spot lol
luv herblady

you said they are shiny but I didn't get the second part "long folk at heart"? I'm thinking poison ivy.

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

that's a pleasant thought now isn't it. I hope not for Nana's sake
S

sorry, wasn't trying to be funny or mean, it was just an educated guess based on the decsription given. I hope I'm wrong.

Knoxville, TN

Nope not poison,I have a tree that thats growing on a tree,but the way i decribe it ,it sounds like it.lol sandy,It has a long heart leaves,the leaves are shinie
like our in door plants,Well it's growing so I guess I will let it grow across fence,I will make a deal with it I won't bother it if it does,nt bother me.
love herblady

Lynn Haven, FL(Zone 8a)

herblady,
I think I have one of those vines too! I have no idea what it is, but it is pretty and grows as fast as kudzu. Mine gets big seed pods in the fall. What zone are you in?

Sounds like anise vine''Sis''Does it smell like licorice??

(Zone 5a)

Crutland,
I have this growing in my boxwood hedge. Mine is not poison ivy and is not shiny,at least not that I remember. but it gets huge pods that hang off of it in the fall. It has actually killed part of my hedge . I have to go in at least 2 times during the summer and pull it out.

Lynn Haven, FL(Zone 8a)

Well, sounds the same as mine and it doesn't smell like licorice. I left a rake near the plant for one day/night and it wrapped all the up the handle! I wonder what this is.

Knoxville, TN

lolo YES that has to be the vine like on movie
Little shop of horrow lol If i happened to fall
asleep for a hour I believe this vine would be around
my foot when I awoke lol I am going to watch for pods
this fall.I live in zone 7/8 lol
u guys are funny

Lynn Haven, FL(Zone 8a)

Oh yes, and save those pods so you can plant more of these vines! And give them to your friends too.
But you know, I have never looked in those pods, so I am not sure what treasure they hold. I think a disection is in order this fall.

Crestview, FL(Zone 7b)

Removed by member request

Lynn Haven, FL(Zone 8a)

Well, I know what it is now. A friend of mine here saw a picture and here is the info.....

One of the common names is "Air Potato". It is an extremely vigorous vine with those really nice heart shaped leaves. It is named after those "aerial tubers" that it produces in the fall. Another common name for the vine is "monkey-ball vine"!

Its botanical name is DIOSCOREA BULBIFERA and it is native to tropical parts of Asia and the Philippines.
Here is a link
http://aquat1.ifas.ufl.edu/diobul.html

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Connie , you better keep the rakes out of harms way. That thing must really be a headache to deal with. Jim

Knoxville, TN

lol I will warn hubby vine is watching him lol
luv nana
hey,jim don't worry about the rake next to my vine itmade a great vine person!!!lolol JK

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.