Hydrangea Macrophylla "Royal Purple"

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

Does anyone have any information on this cultivar? I received 2 of these from a grower I was doing some work for. All the tag says is "Royal Purple." I've seen some for sale on the web from Springhill with this name, but they don't really have much information.

The two I have are very small - only had a couple leaves and about 6" tall when he gave them to me. I overwintered them last year covered by our Christmas tree - it did the trick and this year they've both tripled in size and are healthy but are too young to flower yet, I'm hoping for next year.

I'm in zone 5 and would like to know if I have them in a sheltered enough spot (in case they're like Nikko blue that marginally bloom here). If anyone has information about these, I'd appreciate hearing it. Royal Purple is not listed in the database here yet.

BTW - I've also got a couple "Royal Red" that did come from Springhill - same question. I wonder if these are a cultivar that are already out there?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I could only find two references to Hydrangea 'Royal Purple'. Here's a link to one. Seems like its just a purplish version of Nikko Blue
http://www.gardenguides.com/flowers/perennials/hydrangea.htm

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks Todd. Yes, I've seen that - if you click the pictures it takes you to Springhill nursery and they don't give cultivar information either. Frustrating! I asked the grower, but he didn't really have a lot of info, and now he's gone out of business too. I'd really like to find out just how hardy they are. I'm in 5b and Nikko is marginal here. Last year I covered with leaves and got one blossom late in the season. I've got these two planted up near the house where they have a little more shelter. Guess I'll just have to wait a couple more years until they're big enough to bloom...and keep covering them with my Christmas tree each year ;o)

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Michael Dirr lists 'Royal Purple' and 'Mathilda Gutges' as one and the same in his book, Hydrangeas for American Gardens. I searched his book for additional information regarding hardiness, etc, but found none for this specific cultivar.

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

Oh thanks! Yes, I saw that book online yesterday. I have it marked for my husband to get me for Christmas! Thanks for the info, at least that gives me something else to search for!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Imelling, you'll love it. We bought it last weekend while at a seminar at JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh, NC and were fortunate enough to have Michael Dirr autograph it. We also purchased the accompanying CD-ROM for the additional photos. He's also writing a book on Viburnums, not sure of the release date, but will definitely be on our 'wish list'. If he writes half as fast as he talks (and walks), it should be soon.

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

LOL...yes, I recently took a community college course where the professor talked like that - I know just what you mean!

I put the book on my "wish list" at Amazon, along with his book on trees and shrubs as well. My husband can never figure out what to get me so he always goes to that list!

BTW - the information about Royal Purple and Mathilda Gutges has proven fruitful, I've been able to find a little more information about the latter. Now I'm anxious to see how these little bushes do. Guess I'll continue to cover them in winter - glad I planted them in a sheltered spot!

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Imelling if it is true the Royal Purple and Mathilda Gutges are the same plant then the hardiness zones are 6-9. It likes part shade, grows to 5' by 5', and tends to a deep violet or rich blue bloom on acid soil or purple on clay. I got this info from the Wilkerson Mill Gardens catalog (it's loaded with info on each variety). Hope this helps you. Jenny

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks Jenny,
I'm betting it's at least a zone 5 because it was being grown by a nursery right here in my zone. Sometimes the "zone 6" plants do OK here - we're right on the border and we've got a lot of little "microclimates" that allow us to straddle both. I've got a pampas grass that lived over from last year (zone 7), but it didn't flower this year. Last year was one of the coldest winters here in a long time. Thanks!
Lynne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.