Is this true????

Crossville, TN

A friend sent this to me in my email.....Jo

Adware / spyware pop-up windows are getting increasingly sneaky. If you've ever clicked on the X belonging to a pop-up window and suddenly found yourself downloading spyware instead of closing the pop-up, you've been subjected to a fake pop-up.

A fake pop-up window looks like an ordinary pop-up, but is actually an image file. Clicking anywhere on the image will activate a link, which often results in inadvertently downloading spyware. Fake pop-ups rely on user habit. You see a pop-up window, so you close it by clicking on the X button. Because the X button is part of the image, you activate the link.

To prevent this from happening, watch your mouse pointer. If the pointer still looks like a little hand over the X button then the pop-up's a fake. The little hand is your mouse pointer's way of telling you that you're about to click on a link. Clicking the X button won't close the window, because it isn't really a window.

If, however, your mouse pointer turns into an arrow when you hover over the X button, you've got a real pop-up and can close the window by single-clicking on the X button. To be safe, I always close pop-ups by pressing on my keyboard. That way, I stop myself from accidentally activating a link.

This thread has 17 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!