overwintering silver dust?

Nevada, IA(Zone 5a)

Is it possible to overwinter silver dust (dusty miller)? I still have it outside right now, despite this cold weather and it doesn't even look droopy or wilty. What do I have to do to keep it alive until spring? Thanks!

Lana

Edited to say "spring", not "winter".

This message was edited Oct 30, 2004 6:14 AM

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

Hi Lana,
Welcome to the garden.

Last Fall I lifted and potted 3 Dusty Miller plants into a large pot. They continued to grow all winter and were pest free. In the Spring I added to the pot, Purple Millet, Sweet Potato Vines, Margarite and Blacky, even had a summer poinsettia in there. Wintering over like that and then putting out the next year . . . . you will see about mid-summer the second year, its yellow blooms.

I just lifted some more yesterday.

Nevada, IA(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the reply. Question - where did you store them through the winter? Do they need a bright window or would the basement and flourescent lights do? Also, how often should I water them? Thanks!

Lana

OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA(Zone 4b)

I have a living room with a slider door on the South side and on the North side it is a vaulted ceiling with window all the way up into the peak. We keep the temp between 65 and 70 during the winter.

Most of last winter it was by the front door (on the North) in front of a long skinny side window the height of the door.

I am so bad about overwatering that I bought a moisture meter with a probe on it to check for watering and did much better last winter.

How much water needed is dependent upon the size of the pot and the planting mix it is in. If you dig it right out of the ground (clay soil) it stays wet a lot longer than the soiless planting mixtures. I tried to find a picture of my pot but it has been misplaced somewhere.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.