Seeing Red?

Looking up some flower descriptions, I'm surprised to find Foxgloves described as 'purple', and often see references to Echinacea as 'purple', too. I call these bright pink, and I'd love to have a purple Foxglove. On the other hand, I see some flowers I think of as more a shade of dark blue being classed as purple - some Campanulas, for instance. To me, purple is a rich, deep bluey-pink or pinky-blue - the colour of Symphytum officinale, say. I know there are too many flower colours to narrow them down to only a handful (and I know there are zillions in the RHS colour range), but surely there must be some concensus as to what purple is?

When I'm offered a plant described as 'purple', I don't know if I'm going to get what I call purple, or pink, or light mauve, and growing from seed means it could be a couple of years before I find what I have won't fit where I wanted to put it.

Any thoughts?

Macclesfield, CHESHIRE(Zone 8a)

Mary,

Apart from the obvious problem of those of us who have a certain colour impediment; like if I use a red tee peg on the golf course, I cannot see it against the green grass (if thats the colour they both are in the first place !!). Maybe Dave should offer a prize for the first member to come up with a colour chart we can all agree on !

El Tel

Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

how about geranium Kashmir White which isn't pure white but has red veins.

Mark

Ladysmith, BC(Zone 8a)

Mary nearly all my foxgloves are 'purple' or a deep mauve if you prefer, not pink not blue. If you would like some seeds will save some for you, this is the first year they have bloomed.

I would love some of the cream spotted foxgloves if anyone has seeds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.