Received my Bomareas earlier this week

Spring Valley, CA(Zone 10a)

One is a smaller vine with yellow blossoms. It is from Mexico. I planted it near the fence amongst the clivias. It can tolerate warmer drier conditions than the other one and doesn't get that big. I'm pretty confident of this one.

The other is red and apparently gets huge (60'+). It is from the Andes and prefers cooler moist conditions. I'm not sure about this one, so I planted it right next to the Lapagerias. It arrived as a smaller and more fragile looking plant. We'll see. Wish me luck.

The seller didn't know the species name of either one.

-Ron-

Keyport, NJ(Zone 7a)

How are your plants doing? That is an intriguing species. I've only seen seeds for sale.
Sheila

Navarre (NW FL), FL(Zone 8b)

RWhiz,
Where did you get your plants from? I love tihs species of plants. They are AWESOME!.

I got my plants from Cistus Nursery in Oregon--online website. They were $16 each.

Sheila, the red one went kaput right away, however the yellow one is doing fabulous and has put on a lot of new growth, it didn't go through transplant shock or anything.

-Ron-
(Fouquieria)

I may have spoken too soon about the red Bomarea. I went looking closer today and cleared away some of the leaf debris. Low and behold, there were four new spikes emerging from the ground. The spikes were between 1/2 to 4 inches. Maybe this baby will be coming back.

-Ron-

Navarre (NW FL), FL(Zone 8b)

Ron,
I'm pleased to hear about your plant recovering. I wish I could keep these plants but they perfer cooler temperatures based on what I've read.

Keyport, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hi Fouquieria aka Ron!
Just browsing through the forum again and saw your additional posts.
So did lil red make a comeback?

Sheila

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.