California Beauties

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I scanned some old pictures for the PDB, and since this are all wild plants, I thought I'd share the pictures here, too.

This is a naturally-occuring field of California poppies.
Antelope Valley, Los Angeles County, desert grassland habitat, elevation ~3,000 ft.

This message was edited Oct 24, 2004 10:54 AM

Thumbnail by Kelli

Giant coreopsis

Point Mugu State Park, Ventura County, coastal sage scrub habitat, elevation ~75ft.

This message was edited Oct 24, 2004 10:55 AM

Thumbnail by Kelli

Scarlet bugler

Cheseboro Canyon (Santa Monica Mtns. Nat. Recreation Area), Ventura County, chaparral habitat, elevation no more than 1000ft.

This message was edited Oct 24, 2004 10:58 AM

Thumbnail by Kelli

Giant sequoia

Sequoia National Park, Sierran forest habitat, elevation ~6,000ft.

This message was edited Oct 24, 2004 10:59 AM

Thumbnail by Kelli

Valley oak

Neale's Oak, Agoura, CA, Los Angeles County, vacant lot habitat, elevation a few hundred feet (tree no longer in existence)

This message was edited Oct 24, 2004 11:04 AM

Thumbnail by Kelli

Valley oak savannah

East Las Virgenes Canyon, Ventura County, elevation no more than 1000ft.

This message was edited Oct 24, 2004 11:01 AM

Thumbnail by Kelli

Western sycamore

Malibu Creek State Park, Los Angeles County, riparian habitat, elevation a couple hundred feet

This message was edited Oct 24, 2004 11:02 AM

Thumbnail by Kelli

Bristlecone pine

White Mountains, Inyo National Forest, Inyo County, alpine forest habitat, elevation 9,000 to 10,000ft.

This message was edited Oct 24, 2004 11:04 AM

Thumbnail by Kelli
Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

Kelli, those are beautiful! Thank you for sharing.
Sherri

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Good stuff Kelli!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Kelli these are great pics. They give a feel for placement as well as individual specimens. Really like the feel of the valley oak savannah.

Have never seen such a coreopsis with tree trunk type stems. Amazing size. Thanks for sharing these as a group. ~Blooms

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Speaking for myself, I'd like some location/aspect/elevation info, too. Being an ex-Californian. I echo Blooms comments as well. Blooms, you often say things I wish I had said!

Thank you everyone.

I have added the requested information. The elevations are educated guesses, but probably accurate within 10%.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Now its REALLY, REALLY GOOD stuff, Kelli! :-)

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Aww, Kelli, you'll spoil him. LOL

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Looking forward to the next batch, Kelli! Blooms? Completes the 'picture' though, don't ya think? :-)

I forgot one.

Our Lord's candle (Yucca whipplei)

Malibu Creek State Park, Los Angeles County, coastal sage scrub habitat, elevation a few hundred feet

Thumbnail by Kelli

And a couple pictures from other states.

claret cup cactus, White Sands form, which is larger than the typical form

White Sands National Monument, New Mexico, elevation ~5000 feet (?)

Thumbnail by Kelli

eastern white pine (and two eastern white guys - my dad and brother)

Anders Run Natural Area, Warren County, Pennsylvania, elevation ~1200 feet (?)

Thumbnail by Kelli

There is a story that goes with the valley oak savannah. I used to live in an apartment near there. The place was a couple thousand acres of wild land owned by an absentee landowner and I would sneak through the fence and poke around. Since no one lived there and no one was back there, it almost felt like it was mine. I did encounter the security guard a couple times. He just said that this was private property and to leave. I learned that there was one area where one might encounter the security guard and the rest of safe. Oh, there were No Trespassing signs, but there was some part of no that I didn't understand. After all, I wasn't going to hurt anything and if I hurt myself, I was willing to blame myself and not sue anyone. No one lived there and it was owned by a multi-million dollar corporation who hoped to build 3,000 houses, an industrial park, a golf course, etc, ad nauseum, on the property. And I was going to hurt it? That's the part of no that I didn't understand.

In the last picture in this series, you can see some red-roofed buildings in the distance. That is the apartment complex that I lived in at that time. http://www.ahmanson.org/gallery.html

Another web site says, "Historic scenes from Gone With the Wind and many other movies were filmed on the ranch."

This all has a happy ending. The state bought the property last year and it is now parkland.

This message was edited Nov 4, 2004 10:32 AM

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Whoopee! Thanks for the post, Kelli! The good guys won one!

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Great pictures, Kelli.

I thought you were low on the elevation in Warren PA, which is just south of us. Our farm is between 1700 and 1800 feet. I checked on Terraserver (http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com) and you were closer to right than I was. Terraserver is a really neat site - it has the USGS aerial and topographical maps for the whole country.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Thank you a bunch for that link, Kathleen!!! Within minutes I located the aerial photo of my place! Fantastic! :-D

John

A couple more that are not in California

organ pipe cactus

Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, Arizona, Sonoran Desert habitat, elevation - I won't even guess.

Thumbnail by Kelli

senita cactus

Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, Arizona, Sonoran Desert habitat, elevation - I have no idea

The natural range of this plant just barely reaches into the U.S. The cacti in the background are saguaros.

This message was edited Dec 2, 2004 2:56 PM

Thumbnail by Kelli

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.