Planting Larkspur in 2005 - help!

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

I grow larkspur for drying because I run our annual community fair's dried flower booth. I could probably buy dried larkspur cheaper than growing it, but that takes all the fun away! But this year was a disaster! I'm wondering if I did something wrong, or if it was just the bad weather this year.

I have successfully grown larkspur in 2002 and 2003 in my garden from seed, but this year (04) I added fresh dirt, and planted 12 packs of larkspur seed - several different kinds. All I got were about 5 spindly plants - two or three which made it to the bloom stage. It was a REALLY wet year here in central NY state - May had about 5.5 inches, and about 6.5 in both June and July, plus it was cool (70's mostly). I started it like I always do in late April through early May (staggering the plantings) and I use remay cloth over the seed until they get started and can take the sun. Frosts and freezes weren't really an issue this year.

Did anyone have any similar experiences with Larkspur in particular this year? I'm planning on trying to plant again in spring 2005, but I don't know if I should try planting somewhere else - to add more new soil (someone told me larkspur exhausts the soil), or what to do at this stage. I don't want a repeat of this year!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

My larkspur reseeds itself and has been in the same spot for years. I throw manure out a couple times a year is all. My zone is very different though. Good luck.

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

Hi,
Yes, mine has reseeded a little from year to year, but not as much as what I need planted - usually only a few stragglers. I might try using more manure in that area when I throw in some new soil next spring before I plant. Maybe it was just the year - lots of people had problems with so much rain! Thanks.

Yes, big difference in zones! Come January and February, I'll wish I was in yours!!!

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

I have mixed seed if you would like some. Can't guarantee what you will get but they will be rockets. Lol.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/426133/

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

Wow, yes, I'd love some, thanks! Yours are beautiful and the same kind I grow to cut and dry. I usually buy about 12 packages each year to plant! Wish I had some to trade with you!

Western, WI(Zone 4a)

Frogrus, would you have an extra Larkspur seeds? I do have seed to trade, but wondering if you would be interested as I am in zone 4a.
I do love the larkspur and have never seen any that tall in my gardening life.

Thanks for answering the enquiry.

Maxine

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Looky what I found this morning! Hundreds of baby larkspur! It is early for them. The rain must have made them say "Yahoo!" I will have to wait and see. I may have to replant. Maybe i will have pretty bouquets for Valentines day.

Thumbnail by frogsrus
Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

Boy, I'm jealous...I have to wait clear till May to see that again here! It's gonna be a loooonnnngg winter.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I have planted larkspur too the last couple of years but I always start early in the greenhouse. It would be better I think if I just direct seeded. I probably get started way too early.Stokes seed is a great source for this too as you can buy by specific colors and in larger quantities and they are really quite reasonable.

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

Where do you get your Stokes seed - online or at a store? How is % of what actually germinates? I've been using Burpee and other seed I find locally and haven't been all that pleased on actual germination per packet.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Imelling, Here is their website:www.stokesseeds.com I actually order from their print catalog using their toll free number. I am a nervous nellie about giving my credit card information through the internet. They have lots of wonderful information in their print catalog such as the percent that usually germinate. It gives the temperature things need to germinate, light requirements, how long it should take for seedlings to be able to market. I think you will really enjoy them. If you don't get a catalog for whatever reason if you want to email me I can get you one or at least get you on their mailing list. I don't know if they are strictly wholesale or not. They always take my orders without any questions even though I do have a nursery's license for Oregon.

Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

Thanks! I found their website and looked at some of the seed I'm interested in - Yes! I like the idea of being able to order certain colors! I primarily cut and dry the blue and hot pink for use in arrangements. Although I enjoy the rest, I'd rather have the majority I plant be the double variety in the the colors I want. I have no problems ordering online, in fact that's mostly what I do. Thanks again for the information!

Williams, CA(Zone 9a)

I have a package of Stover Larkspur, We live in central california, zone 9 and I was wondering if it is too late to plant them for spring and summer flowering. I was going to seed them in with my cannas, as they do not really take off until June -does that make any sense. Would love your input!
Than You!
Dee

San Diego, CA(Zone 10a)

Go ahead and plant them. My Dad in Napa just planted his so you should be okay. They may not get as tall before they bloom is all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.