Hydrangea tree???

Springdale, AR(Zone 6b)

I was in Columbus, OH last week and the girl I stayed with had a vase with some beautiful flower/foliage in it and she said
it was from a hydrangea tree from her mother's yard. The flowers were a pale pink mixed with a light green. Very pretty.
Does anyone know if the tree would grow in NW Arkansas and if it would how I could go about getting one?
TIA,
Dirinda
NW Arkansas
Zone 6b or 7a depending on which map you use. :-)

This message was edited Oct 25, 2004 9:05 AM

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

The only Hydrangea tree I know of is Dombeya wallichii. There are several worthy Dombeya species, though... D. seminole is another smaller one, but the blooms are upright. D. wallichii blooms form a ball shape and hang down. Both are pink. Neither are very hardy - I think only to zone 9, but that's off the top of my head.

Does the sound like what you saw?

Here's a pic of my D. seminole from last winter (oh, both are winter bloomers as well).

A quick google has a few sites listing hardiness ranging from just zones 10 & 11 to 9 thru 11. I have both species mentioned, and I'm in zone 9B.

*edited to add info and because me spelling sux. ;)

This message was edited Oct 23, 2004 4:09 PM

Thumbnail by Carter
Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

tHE HYDRANGEA COLORS YOU MENTIONED SOUND LIKE MINE (oops - cap lock on) and they fine up here, so you shouldn't have a problem. I don't think you can propagate at this time of year, though, so I don't think I can send you a cutting. If you remind me come Spring, I'll be happy to send you a couple cuttings.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Sounds like the hydrangea might be a peegee, Hydrangea paniculata. It is one of the taller hydrangeas and starts off greenish-white but fades to pinkish with green tint.

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

Yep - that definitely sounds like mine!

Springdale, AR(Zone 6b)

Thanks everyone that responded!
I did some web searching on the "peegee" and found this picture.
It is called Hydrangea - Late Panicle and looks pretty much like what I saw.
The "peegee" is close but this is closer. Now I have to call around and see
if any of the local nurseries have one!
Thanks again!

Thumbnail by Dirinda
Ithaca, NY(Zone 5b)

Dirinda,
I cut a lot of hydrangea from those volunteering it around our area. One woman has a beautiful PG Hydrangea tree that she's grown for years - it was a "start" years ago from a neighbor - she's just trained it into a tree form over the years. She keeps it trimmed at about 15 feet tall and wide. I cut a or ten bunches from it each fall. I believe that her cultivar (from researching online ) is one called "Unique." It has huge elongated heads and will turn a beautiful rosy color with green undertones around mid September (maybe later in your zone). A number of online nurseries have this cultivar.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.