Streptocarpus Propagation

North Scituate, RI(Zone 6a)

Has anyone ever propagated streps by leaf-cuttings? One of my favorites fell over today and some of the leaves broke off. I put them in damp paper towels in a shaded area, because I want to try to start new plants -- but I'm not sure how to do it.

Do they need bottom heat? What's the best medium for rooting? Are the leaves laid on top of the soil, or inserts into the soil? Should I use rooting hormone?

- Kathleen (Zone 6 - NW Rhode Island)

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Kathleen...I have no idea what your plant is...but when I saw your post I thought I would look it up in my "Complete Book of Plant Propagation"....sure enough, under leaf cuttings they talked about it. I will try and scan the page and post it. But to be brief, anyway....it says to prepare cutting compost and water...take your leaf and cut it across with a shartp knife into sections..about 4 sections per leaf. Brush some rooting hormone along the cut side and stand it up in the compost in the direction that it grows. Keep moist, keep water off leaves. Keep tray indoors in warm postion, but out of sun...temps 65-70 degrees.
The cutting closest to the stem is the strongest. It says it may be slow to root, but plantlets will develop along the point where the veins meet the surface of compost. After a few weeks pot them up individually.
Sounds good!
Hope this helps! Margie

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Let's see if this scan will work....let me know if you have anymore questions that I can find you from the book!

Thumbnail by picturelady
North Scituate, RI(Zone 6a)

The diagram of the stem cuttings came thru fine: thanks very much! It looks pretty easy, too.

If I can get some new plants, I'll send you one as my thanks for the help! (It will probably take until at least Spring until I have a decent-sized plant to send.)

- Kathleen (Zone 6 - NW Rhode Island)

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Kathleen...I am glad that it will help you...So nice of you to offer to send a plant if it works for you. I would appreciate that. Thank you. Margie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.