Raised beds & soil-borne disease

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

I only grow tomatos and pole beans in two 8 x 8 raised beds. The rust and 'yellows' were horrble this year. Since I can't rotate in a 4 year cycle, does anybody have any suggestions besides replacing the soil?

Burlington, MA(Zone 6a)

Please copy and place that under vegetable gardening and the title Raised Bed Gardening. I wish I had an answer for that one but someone at that forum might. In the meantime I'll ask around at my Essex County Agricultural meeting the end of this month here.

Burlington, MA(Zone 6a)

Called a friend and he had this information:

Disease to tomato through limited growing space. Soil building practices such as green manuring and natural composting (leaves, twigs, grass clippings) that support abundant soil microflora which builds a natural disease preventative condition. Damage already started - Twice as much of the above and a good deep soil cultivation now and in the spring.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

http://www.extension.umn.edu/projects/yardandgarden/ygbriefs/p227bean-anthracnose-rust.html

The above link will help you better understand what bean rust is all about and why the severity of disease varies depending on environmental conditions. Since the spores are windblown there is no way to prevent colonization of the bean plants.

As to tomato yellows, I don't know what you mean by that.

If you could decribe exactly what happens and describe all symptoms perhaps I can ID the disease, perhaps not.

If it's a systemioc disease such as Fusarium or Verticillium that has been transferred into your raised beds with tomato transplants there's little you can do. other than replacing the soil and being careful to never use purchased plants that you don't know about .

If it's a foliage disease then something can be done, depending on which disease.

So please indicate:

Any wilting and if so when?

Leaves turn yellow from the bottom up? What color do t hey then turn?

Leaves have spots on them? If so, please describe in detail and how they progress.

Will wait to hear see your answers here.

And just for future reference, did you know that there's a Tomato Forum here? That's where I hang out most of the time when I do come to DG.

Carolyn

Bartow, FL(Zone 9a)

Any suggestions about what to do about aphids on tender mustard greens?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Aphids are usually handled pretty well with just a hard spray of water. However, if you find this doesn't do the trick then a soap spray will do you justice.

Our greens are just coming on, seldom have aphids, but I understand you are in the middle FLA...different growing conditions.

Gotta luv them greens!

Cle Elum, WA(Zone 5b)

I have grown various greens and the multicolored swiss chard is never host to aphids. Chard isn't as spicy as mustard greens but i can always spice up the chard and i don't have to spend so much time washing off pests. It snowed here today, there are no greens coming on, no ahpids either. but the thought of fresh homegrown greens has my mouth watering.

Richmond, VA(Zone 7a)

Tomato yellows-
Thanks for the help Carolyn-

The leaves start getting mottled with yellow, then turn all yellow and die. It starts at the bottom of the plant and works its way up. There is no wilting, the plant does flower and set fruit. The fruit is not affected until the plant is so sick it won't produce.I have removed the lower branches when I plant to reduce soil splashing, and removed sick leaves as best as I can. It doesn't seem to help. The bed has plenty of organic material and a very healthy population of earthworms. I think it may be Fusarium.

Thanks again-
Susan

Franklin, TN

Hi,
What was the answer for Susan with tomato yellows? I have this same problem! I live in TN, plant tomatoes in a raised bed, but do rotate them, and have had this problem for two years now. Is there a way to get the soil tested etc. I have plenty of organic material and earthworms also.

I've tried watering more, less, fungicide etc.

Thanks,
Cathy

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I'd recommend going to the Tomato forum, you'll find a ton of people there who have experience with this, maybe there are a few here who could help you as well but I really think you'll get more advice there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.