October 17, 2004

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Well, I went and did it. Bought six new heifers. Three of them are half simmental and half holstein. These are the three that I originally went to buy. But, when I got there I fell in love with three full blooded simmentals. These will be some large boned cows. He spends a lot of time with his cattle. Most of them will eat range cubes right out of his hand , so I am confident they will all be gentle.

My cousins brought me 4 roosters that someone didn't want. I will probably keep a couple of them and then. I think one or two of them will got in the pot. Cousins left with lots of gourds. I know I mentioned this in the gourd forum, but I planted gourd seeds in the leftover hay from last winter where I fed the cattle. I had meant to fence off the gourds from the cattle when I needed to use that pasture again. Didn't get it done though. It turns out that cattle hate gourds and gourd vines. So the cattle weeded my gourds. It's pretty funny really. I planted some bushel gourds and swan neck gourds , just from gourds I had from last year. The funniest site is that these gourds climbed up trees near where I planted them and I have these huge gourds hanging from the trees. The bushel gourds didn't get as large as the one I bought from last year, but still they are big. Hubby and I are going to St. Louis to visit our two youngest daughters. I thought I had loaded the truck with enough of these for my girls, but when I talked to my middle daughter she wanted enough for her entire first grade class. So back to the gourd patch.

Hope everyone has a great day.

This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!