Autumn Maples (w/ photos)

Cedar Springs, MI(Zone 5b)

Don't you just love Maples during the autumn season? We have some old Maples that line the front part of our property and dazzle us every Fall with their orange, red and brilliant yellow leaves. Unfortunately we have lost 2 and one is dying but we still have some to enjoy.

Thumbnail by Cottage_Rose

Leaf raking time...

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Love your beautiful red leafed maples. I have several Acer palmatums, some others. Acermand shuricum-very pretty right now: Acer platanoides 'Crimson King' red all summer, one that I bought labeled Var. Amur Maple, and that is the only name I know for it. Donna

Thanks Donna. :)
I don't know what kind these are...around here they are simply called "Sugar Maples". They were planted many. many years ago when this area was first established as the settlers used them for windbreaks and for the sap to boil down into Maple Syrup.
Folks still tap the trees in the Spring for their sap to make Maple Syrup.
You know its Spring when you see those buckets hangin' on the old Maples. :))

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Those Maples .. are indeed .. gorgeous Cottage_Rose_Z5.

Of most recent, we've been trying to remove some Hickories .. that are blocking/preventing a few relatively smaller Maples right close to the house here, from growing any better ... and making them a bit more 'viewable'.

We've quite a few on off into the woods, but sure desire to have some of those beautiful flaming colors closer in ...

I've been watchin' some of Boojums 'fall' posts, and am sure glad to see that there are more photos croppin' up too ..

I simply love and enjoy this time of the year!

- Magpye

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Any pix of your maples Mags?

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

RB .. Incidentally, just today, I took a few pics .. but, they're mostly of a few Maple 'limbs'! .. hee

Our horrific dry spell we'd had (up until about a week and a half or so ago) .. really put a damper in/on our fall 'purtees' coming about as normal. However, it seems that we may have gotten a good bit of some much, much needed rain - and just 'in the nick' of time (hopefully) .. of the trees maybe making somewhat of a 'recovery' ...

Cottage_Rose_Z5 .. still lookin' to spyball plenty more autumn color pics ... from you too!

Our Maples here .. come no where near .. the beauty of those you guys have (and see) further north. Just beautiful !

- Magpye

Others please feel free to post your autumn trees here.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

Your maple tree pictures are beautiful. I want to add more maples to my landscape next year.

Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

Rose,
Your maples (and obviously your whole garden) are gorgeous. Thanks for the invite to post some pictures; the Japanese maples are just starting to turn here...
here is Sango kaku, the coral bark maple.
don

Thumbnail by zonedenial
Iowa City, IA(Zone 5a)

This is the Autumn moon maple's foliage.

Thumbnail by zonedenial

ZD thanks... and those are beautiful maples!! :))

The autumn colored leaves are still looking glorious but the leaves are falling fast and the days increasingly gray.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Most of my maples have just started to turn. The most colourful right now is A. palmatum 'Omure Yama', shown in the pic. Last year it was bright pink-orange but this year it's more mixed due to the excess rain and decided lack of sun in my area.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

One more.................

Thumbnail by RikerBear
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

One more....................

Thumbnail by RikerBear
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Sorry for the multiple posts....my fingers hic-uped. :-)

This message was edited Oct 31, 2004 12:06 AM

Thumbnail by RikerBear
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

.. LOL .. RB !!!

... A 'flaming' beauty there, for sure!! ...

- Magpye

Just beautiful!!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

RB do you know which maple that gorgeous red one is. I have Acer palmatum goshika shidare that is quite pretty right now. Is losing its leaves tho, been pretty cold here. Donna

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Donna, not sure which one it is. I do know it's over 40 years old, and was planted by the origonal owner/builder.
It has beautiful burgandy/purple lacey leaves all Spring and Summer, than come Fall we get this gorgeous fire orange.

Springboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Cottage -- not sure about Michigan, but I know here in Ohio you can register very old trees and "protect" them from getting cut down. Have you ever looked into registering your old maples??? Such a HUGE shame when big,old trees get chopped down for no good reason.

hug
Ours are dying from some tree disease and we have cut them down but not until they are dead. I have a half dead one out there my hubby wants to cut down but I won't let him. The Woodpeckers seem to enjoy it nesting in the dead parts.

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

Here is my Acer pseudosieboldianum in its fall glory. This is a great tree for anyone in the colder zones that would like a Japanese maple look-alike with great fall color.
Mike

Thumbnail by treelover3

Just gorgeous!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

CottageRose, what a great thread. Love those old sugar maples, grew up where they lined some of the streets. Read just recently that enough of the sugar maples are dying off to raise concern.

RikerBear, that is one most flame like trees I've ever seen.
I've just enjoyed running thru your leaves guys. Thanks

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Blooms ... check your hair hun .. thank ya may have fetched one of 'em in a tangle in that beautiful mane of yorn !! .. heehee ..

CottageRose .. I've been lurkin' about here .. most everyday .. and am really enjoying the pics and the lil dabs of conversation. It's really mitey sweet and kind of you to invite others to post their beautiful 'fall display' pics here also. Mitey sweet!

I do believe our severe drought conditions back in September .. jes really made it bad for us here. The Oaks seems to be puttin' in a good fight .. at some spiffin' it up, fer any last minute purtees tho'.

- Magpye

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks blooms. :-) I dearly love that old maple. The rains and wind have nearly striped it now however.....not I gotta get to racking. :-(

Magpye...you're sweet for saying so and hey, the more the merrier! ;)

Dayton, NV(Zone 5b)

WOW!!! Let me also say, these pictures are absolutely spectacular. I just bought 5 acer palmatums. Haven't seen their display yet, but am so looking forward to spring.

ZD, one of the 5 that I just bought in Sango Kaku. Yours is wonderful!!

Thanks all for sharing. Hope I have some to share next fall. :-)

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Howdy k2cedarcity! ... and a big 'hearty' welcome to DG too !!!

- Magpye

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.