purple martins

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

today there was an article in the paper that said the Purple Martins here in South Louisiana are being found dead. It seems that Tropical Storm Allison stayed with us for so long the poor little birds could not get out to gather food for 6 days. Many adult birds died and so did their little ones..who would have thought that could happen.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Oh Lisa, that's so sad. I love to watch the purple martins catch bugs in the fields. I never thought about them starving to death.
Calalily

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Lisa I hear what you are saying and it's horrible. The West Nile virus has hit Virginia. The mosquito is killing birds and there have been a few deaths further up the coast. I just wondered if there is a link here! Did the birds in Louisiana really die from starvation?

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Louisa, the birds did in fact die from starvation, isn't that weird. They eat in flight catching mosquitos. and since it rained for so long they could not get out to eat the mosquitos. The mosquitos, were not swarming at dusk like they usually do, caused a food shortage for the birds.It was really sad to read this. Lisa

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

aaawwww, how terrible!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

awwww thats terrible! both reason are horrible!!

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

And on a more cheerful note - I saw my first bluebird today. Not a blue jay, but an actual bluebird. I was thrilled. I know I have many 'firsts' to encounter and the anticipation is really exciting :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.