Shelf life of John Innes Compost

Whitley Bay, United Kingdom

Is anyone able to tell me if compost such as John Innes (all types) have a shelf life.......I have some large bags that are rarely used and am wondering if the nutrients deteriorate at all?

They do have a shelf life, I'm not sure how long though. You could still use it as a soil conditioner for borders, one of the problems we found with a bag stored over winter was pest eggs!

Thanks Baa........sounds bad...pest eggs !!!! Maybe I should contact manufacturer for more info re shelf life......?

John Innes is usually very helpful! I think the pest eggs were partly there due to us not taping the top back properly and then shoving it in the greenhouse, operator error.

Welcome to DG, it's always great to meet new UK members

I live rather farther North than you, but sometimes need some expert advice re my small garden and glass roofed conservatory...how are you on container plants....? thinking about my query recently on Vines and Climbers re Ipomea Coccinea.... bought from a garden centre this summer and grown in a pot in my conservatory with great success this year...one of the garden sites I v isited said this is an annual !!!!...All I need to know is DO I prune or not? I did get a good answer from a Uk person, but would like your thoughts.....

Ahhh Ipomoea coccinea is an annual, so I wouldn't bother pruning it ... unless you need to for space reasons. Not that I'm an expert on Ipomoea, I've always fancied growing I. coccinea, I love those little bright blooms.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.