Bougainvillea Bonsai

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

I have had this plant about 6 weeks now. I just keep trimming the vines back after they get so big. Is this what I am suppose to do?

Since this picture was taken I have transplanted it in a bigger pot. Is this ok or not?

This message was edited Oct 15, 2004 11:55 PM

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs
Manhattan Beach, CA(Zone 11)

Check this out:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/381327/

Ulrich you must be a night owl. I always check my computer before I go to bed. Especially DG's Forums. So if I go to bed late I post things late. I am so glad I ran accross this web site, it is wonderful.

Thanks for the hyperlink, but I had read it before and hope my plant doesn't turn out like haighr's did. I made a reply to her post and asked how her plant did. I hope she see's it and replys. I am very curious on how it turned out.

It really doesn't answer my question, I need to know if I am prunning it back correct, if not what is the correct way to do so.

Yes, Pugs, I'm up late, but then you are two hours ahead of us.
I have no Bougainvillea bonsai but we have several big ones outside. They are a pain (literally as well because of their thorns) to keep trimmed during their growing season.
As bonsai I doubt they are suitable for indoors during summer. Keep the pot as small as possible and water very sparingly.
Good luck!

THANKS, I WILL DO AS YOU SAID. I DIDN'T REALIZE THAT THEY HAD THORNS UNTIL I RECEIVED MINE. I AM UNABLE TO HAVE ONE OUTSIDE BECAUSE OF MY ZONE, THAT IS WHY I THOUGHT I WOULD TRY A BONSAI.

Keep the potted bonsai outside in a sunny location until the nighttime temperatures drop to about 38º F. Don't let frost hit it!

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I moved my bouganvilleas back into the Gh a couple of weeks ago. So far we haven't had any frost. It has rained all day, I'm sure that is the most rain we had in 24 hours so far this year. I'm also sure that as soon as the rain is over we will get frost. I have nearly everything baci into the greenhouse now. I do have one small bouganvillea that i am planning to treat as a bonsai. They do require quite a bit of pruning to keep looking like bonsai. The three that I have in hanging pots were very pretty all summer out in my shade house. They are in hanging pots that probably hold about a gal. of soil. I dig some of the old soil out each fall and replenish with amended soil. Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.