Zebra Plant (Aphelandra squarrosa)

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Zebra Plant
Aphelandra squarrosa

A view of the foliage, bracts and blooms ...

Thumbnail by htop
Pompano Beach, FL

The leaves are drooping on my Zebra plant .How can I remedy this?

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Mine did the same thing and eventually died. I think that it needed more light and that I overwatered it. Try moving it into brighter light (not direct sunlight) and refrain from watering it for a while. If it is in a container, try bottom watering it by placing the container in a larger pan of water so that the water soaks up from the bottom. Mist the leaves once a day. I hope yours survives ... I sure miss mine.

Cottonwood, AZ(Zone 7b)

I received this zebra plant while in the hospital. It is in a small wicker basket and I don't know anything about it. I know I need to re plant it but into what size pot and then how to care for it? Fertelize it, etc. It is so pretty and has three small yellow flowers similar to a Bromilaid.(can't spell) Can anyone help me with caring for it Please. I would like to keep in inside. Is it a house plant? I called the florist that it was sent from and they didn't know anything about the plant.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I would repot it into a larger container that has plenty of drainage holes. Do not water it overhead. Place the pot in a larger container that holds water and let the water soak up from the bottom like I mentioned above. Only water it when the leaves start to droop some. It needs bright light, but no direct sunlight. I would not fertilize it now. If I find any more information, I will let you know.

This message was edited Mar 7, 2007 12:51 AM

Cottonwood, AZ(Zone 7b)

thank you htop for the info. I will re pot it tomorrow and any information you can give me will be very much appreciated.

Cottonwood, AZ(Zone 7b)

htop I re-planted mine into a larger pot and watered from the bottom as the leaves were drooping and set it where it gets light through thin curtin panels on my window and it is doing great. Sure hope it will continue to do well as it is so pretty. Thank you for your advice. Now can you tell me how big it will get? Since there was nothing about the plant when I got it, I have no idea. Would appreciate any information you can give me.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I am happy to learn that your plant is doing better now. During the active growth period from March through October, allow the soil to stay slightly moist between thorough waterings. Never allow the pot to stand in water for more than 20 minutes. Feed once every two weeks with a well-balanced fertilizer from March through October. After it flowers, give it a rest period during which you slightly reduce the amount of water for a while. In winter, it needs less water so allow the top half of the soil to dry out between waterings. Because it needs high humidity, place its container on a on a tray of moistened pebbles. Ideal temperatures are between 65° and 80°F during its active growth period, but during the winter rest period provide cooler temperatures, down to 55°F. It can grow to be 6 feet tall with ideal growing conditions, but normally it does not reach this size. I have never seen one over 2.5 to 3 feet tall.

Cottonwood, AZ(Zone 7b)

htop Thank you for your information. 2.5 to 3 ft is large enough for me as it is sitting on my dinning room table at present and I am not sure where I will put it as it grows. So far the leaves that had gotten brown on the ends have fallen off but the new ones are doing fine and it looks healthy. I have it in oneof those pots that you water from the bottom like my African Violet is in and it seems to be doing fine with it. The thermostat is set at 68 degrees in the house and it is probably a little colder to 60 where the plant is because of the large window that is in the dinning room so think it will be ok. What type of fertelizer would you suggest? I am not very up on house plants and all I have now is my African Violet fertelizer that I use everytime I water it each week. Let me know if there is a certain kind that I should use.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Do not feed now. During the growing season (start at the end of February or first of March; stop at the end of October), fertilize every 2 months with a standard water-soluble 20-20-20 type at ½ the recommended label dilution rate. (You can also use the same fertilizer for your Afican violets as he recommended by the African Violet Society of America). The Society also recommends letting the mixed fertilizer stand at least overnight to let the chlorine in the water evaporate and bring the water to room temperature, before fertilizing your Afican violets. This would be a good suggestion to use with your zebra plant also. I forgot to mention that after the bloom fades, the spike should be removed. Keep in mind that it is a very difficult plant to grow and to keep looking good for more than a year. It is often kept as a flowering plant that is discarded after it deteriorates.

Cottonwood, AZ(Zone 7b)

Thank you so much for your help. I just love this plant and hope to keep it as long as I can. I will use my Aftican Violet fertilize when ready. Thanks again for everything.
RRB

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

You are quite welcome..

Oak View, CA

Beautiful image! I've had one of these plants for several years now. I fertilize it with Alaskan fish emulsion and it has produced lovely blooms. Last year we had a very hard freeze and it almost perished (it sits in a pot outside my front door). Now, new leaves are sprouting and I am so happy that my plant has recovered and will live to produce those eye-catching leaves and blossoms. So spectacular!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Thank you. How wonderful that your plant has rebounded from the freeze. I had never tried fish emulsion fertilizer when I had my plant. Thanks for sharing the information.

Oak View, CA

The leaves are growing beautifully now...think they are even bigger than before....but, no blooms this year. Hope that we don't have such a bad freeze in the coming winter so that the blossoms will have a chance again...I missed those bright yellow blossoms...especially since the plant is growing in a cobalt blue ceramic pot and the contrast was just gorgeous!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I am so happy that your plant is doing so well. Here's hoping you have blooms.

Oak View, CA

Yes...finally got a bloom in October! California is burning, but the zebra plant is thriving. Just amazing!

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

mine is dying very quickly, please help it.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

Have you been watering it from the top?

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

yes, but only when its dry. its in my living room across from the window

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

It is best not to top water the plant because it can get a rot that will killl it. You need to place the container on another container that can hold water. Let your plant soak up the water from the bottom for about 20 minutes and then remove your plant from the container that is the holding water. Do not water it unless the leaves start to droop.

Bessemer, AL(Zone 8b)

htop, thanks alot, i will try that

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

I sure hope that it will help your plant.

Ottawa/Alliston, Canada

Hi htop, you seem to know what your talking about so I was wondering if you know what I should do after the flowering. The spikey things (I'm guessing the actual flowers??) that have grown have now all been removed a few weeks ago. My question is about what I would call the base of the flower: should I remove those as well? There are about 4 or 5 that have all turned green but I'm not sure if those should have been removed as well or if they will be what produce the flowers next time they!

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

When the flower spikes are removed after the plant is finished blooming it begins to develop side shoots. Perhaps that is what is occurring. There will be new blooms on the new shoots.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.