clematis bareroot question

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

if i bought some clematis that are bareroot now, can i store them over the winter and pot in the spring? if so what conditions would it store best in?

thanks debi z

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I'm sure they sent you dormant roots, so it would probably be best if you could get them in the ground. I'm not one that grows a lot of clematis, but I've always planted them in the fall when shipped to me.

Shalimar, FL(Zone 8a)

It's probably best to plant in a pot now. I usually plant mine in a 1 gal container for about 1 year. Here is a site with lots of info to get you started:
http://dspace.dial.pipex.com/clematis/questoc.htm
Jen

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

I guess I've been very lucky after reading that site. I can only think of one that I've lost over the years. Makes sense though. Thanks Jen.

Shalimar, FL(Zone 8a)

The first clematis I bought was a box from Sam's with 3 tiny Hagley's Hybrids - bare root. I planted them at the base of a trellis and didn't see them again; no leaves, vines or anything.
About 3/4 years later I had a glorious showing of an "unknown" clematis. I'd forgotten about the Hagley's, gave them up for dead! I was amazed when I figured out what they were.
They really do take 3 years to get established - no matter how big when you get them. Patience is key.
Jen

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

thank you everyone for your input.
debi z

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.