My first keiki! And ebay question?

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

First off, congratulations are in order. My epi radicans had a baby! I was wondering how to get this keiki (have no idea how it's spelled) off the plant correctly when it fell off when I picked up the whole plant to put outside. There's another kieki on the stem that I'm waiting for to form roots.

Second, I was looking through some orchid auctions on ebay and I was wondering, is this the way to go? I hardly know anything about orchids, how would I be able to tell if I'm being sold something under a false name, unless I buy the plant in bloom which seems pricey? Also, are ebay prices really that much better than actual companies and why do these ebay sellers charge so much shipping for little orchid seedlings? I buy alot of large plants off ebay that cost the same to ship as these orchid seedlings. Are shipping differences being pocketed here?

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil(Zone 11)

The Epidendrum keikis are the easiest thing to go. Once it shoots the first roots, you can cut the stem where they are growing from and stick them to the orchid medium of choice. They tend to root easily, since it is what they are initially concentrated on.

About e-bay, you should contact an orchid expert before buying anything with no flowers. Some sellers may be selling mislabeled plants (intentionally or not).

I agree with Mono, be careful when buying orchids off eBay, they aren't that much cheaper (if you count the S&H costs), you don't really know what you're buying and you can't tell if the seller knows their stuff either. The unflowering plants tend to be a younger than those you'd buy in a nursery too, some are selling just out of flask but don't bother to tell you that.

I bought some orchids off eBay from one seller, I emailed him first to ask questions about his stock and we conversed for several days. He was a collector who had to move to a smaller place and needed to reduce his stock, after this time talking to him, I was happy that he was selling me something he really knew about and he sent me very good sized plants, I'd have paid triple elsewhere. This kind of seller is fairly rare though.

North Scituate, RI(Zone 6a)

I've bought over 130 orchids on EBay (phals, catts, paphs, phrags, oncidium), and have been satisfied with about 90% of them. Some of them were INCREDIBLY small, but as long as the plants are healthy, I'm willing to wait for flowers. The plants grow fairly quickly, and I've had about 1/3 of the bloom already.

The cost of shipping something like an orchid is pretty high: the sellers usually use 2nd Day Air/Federal Express and the cost of shipping a small plant can be anywhere from $6 to $10, which really increases the cost of the plant. There's no way around it though: you don't want the plant sitting in a post office over the weekend, drying out or cooking.

A lot of sellers call their offering "rare", but that's not usually the case (unless the plant costs about $85). I buy plants that I like and don't care if they're "rare" or not.

I have a list of the better sellers and the ones I wouldn't buy from again. If you're interested, let me know, and I'll give you the list.

- Kathleen (Zone 6 - NW Rhode Island)

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I'd really appreciate it! I especially need to know that the orchids are exactly what they say they are b/c I don't know enough to id them correctly and I'm caring for them based on books and internet searches.

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

There are some unusual plants to be found on eBay and also some good deals. However, it is really important to compare prices with online vendors as well as local sources. For e.g., I usually do a price/selection comparison with places like Oak Hill Gardens (species), Carter& Holmes, Tropical Orchid Farm (species), Exotic Orchids of Maui, Marty's Orchids (catts), JEM (catasetums), Woodstream (Panamania species, epis, lycastes) and a few others. (Info in parenthetical is what I like about them - they may carry lots of other orchids.)

Kylertown, PA(Zone 5b)

Make a visit to www.orchidmall.com They have loads of vendors listed. There is even the "unclassified ads" where you can trade on occasion.

I've been satisifed with the following EBay sellers: Keanh, BillAsia (dendrobiums only), Nozomiorchids, Boer Green (Canadian seller), Paphra, Sun Coat Orchids, WKletecka, CGMoody, Rushp, eorchids, liveoakorchids (paphs only), NeoOrchids, Bardavo-Orchids, NKomplin (Norma's Orchid Ranch), Marty's Orchids and Jeffs Flasks.

I had less-than-satisfied dealings with: Hurley's Orchids, Larry's orchids and machiela.

If you want to check out orchids on the Internet, try Santa Barbara Orchid Estate, Heavenly Orchids and Carmela Orchids.

For orchid supplies, I highly recommend Crystal River Orchid Supply and Kelley's Korner Orchid Supply.

Be careful: this orchid thing is totally addictive!

- Kathleen (Zone 6 - NW Rhode Island)

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I know! I found myself looking for a vanda but finally had to admit there is just no way I can make it work without a greenhouse! Unless there's a way....?

I bought a Vanda at Home Depot about 6 months ago, knowing that there was about a 10% chance I'd have any success with it. The plant is producing new roots -- but other than that, it doesn't look too happy. I have it in fairly high light in an 80% (or higher) humidity greenhouse. All my other orchid types (oncidium, cattleya, dendrobium, phals, paphs and phrags) are producing either new growth or actual buds -- but not the Vanda.

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

Vandas can be grown up north without a greenhouse (I know of people in NYC and Ontario who have some) but you need to put in a lot of work. Summers in the DC area are fine, especially if you can give it full sun. Over the winter, it is best if you have a high intensity light source - HID, HPS etc. If the growing area is not humid enough, you need to compensate somehow - perhaps by soaking it twice a day. I do not have the light for them, or I might be trying to grow them without a greenhouse.

Some people have success growing them in pots with very loose medium. A local grower is experimenting with large (about 4" square) chunks of cork in a basket. The smaller ones would be good candidates.

In any event, it would be easier to try it in late spring, not late fall.

KdeP - it's possible that yours was subjected to cooler temps (65F or so) at HD or in transit for long enough that it is sulking. I hear it takes a while for them to get back into gear.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Actually soaking a plant twice a day is too much time and work to invest daily, especially since I wouldn't remember to do it.

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Hi,
may I jump in on your Vanda thread please? You can grow Vandas under less then optimal conditions if you water and feed the plant regularly. Have a look at this link if you like
http://www.kammlott.net/VandaDG2.html

I used to grow and flower this Vanda during the winter in a regular room with a cheap clamplight/growbulb as supplemental light positioned above it. The plant hung in a bright window, but needed extra light to flower. Once a day this plant went over the bath tub, got the roots thoroughly soaked, dripped off and placed back into its spot. In the Summer Vanda DG enjoyed a spot under a tree outside.
Now it is easier, I have a greenhouse since 2001 ( very happy). The Vandas, Ascocendas (plural- added more stuff) are getting watered twice a day with rainwater. And I still have that first Vanda, it is almost always flowering or budding nowadays.
If you would really like to grow Vandas, it can be done in a regular bright room.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

What do people do usually with vanda usually? Mist systems?

I have my Vanda in a plastic basket with no medium at all. I spray the roots once a day, and keep it in maximum light in the GH. Like I said, I have new root growth, but nothing new in the leaf department. This plant may just be a total failure.

- Kathleen (Zone 6, NW Rhode Island)

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

Friends down in florida have misting/sprinkler systems. They go on for 15 mins, off for a while, then back on for 15 mins. They are heavy feeders, so I guess they probably have some fertilization system rigged up too.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I don't know if this plant is for me. It seems that it won't do too well unless you invest alot of time and effort in or unless you have a large scale expensive greenhouse. Or if you live in the rainforest (I wish!).

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

I am sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear - one more time.
" I used to grow and flower this Vanda during the winter in a regular room with a cheap clamplight/growbulb as supplemental light positioned above it. The plant hung in a bright window, but needed extra light to flower ( hence the clamplight). Once a day this plant went over the bath tub, got the roots thoroughly soaked, ( from a plain old watering can, which contained some Peters soluble fertilizer once in a while!) dripped off and placed back into its spot. In the Summer Vanda DG enjoyed a spot under a tree outside. ( quick water from a hose or rain)
It flowered!!!" Without having a greenhouse at the time, no fancy equipment, taking about 5' a day.
:-)

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

CM - there are plenty of people up north who grow it, some without a greenhouse. If you like it, why no try it? I would (1) recommend waiting til spring to get one (2) look up some info in the meantime, visit local growers if possible, and decide if you want to try it in a pot or a basket (e.g., http://www.canadianorchidcongress.ca/cculture/vanda.html) (3) based on #2, search for a good source, and (4) pick your plant. You might consider an ascocenda cross, for example. Seedlings in 3" pots can be had for $10-15 if you want to experiment.

This message was edited Oct 27, 2004 8:48 AM

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I was looking at Ascocenda/Vanda crosses but I fell in love with the huge checkered vanda flowers. The bluer the better too!

Fair Lawn, NJ(Zone 6b)

Vanda Sansai Blue!!!

Gorgeous bright blue tesselated flowers!

This message was edited Oct 28, 2004 9:35 AM

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh yes! That was my dream vanda!

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

CaptMicha, check this out on the net, it is a beautiful plant, and a georgouse color blue for $33 Doris
http://www.suncoastorchids.com/catalog/i19.html

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I think that's where I was going to buy mine from. I actually invested a lot of thinking into the buying process for once and compared bs plants, prices, shipping prices and reviews of the company!

Maybe I'll buy one in the spring when it can go outside. MD summers are supossed to have ALOT of humidity. If I can get it through the warmer months, I'll think of something to get it through overwintering. Who knows? By then I might have a GH!

CaptMicha: I have bought a lot of orchids from Suncoast (not any Vandas), and every plant has been very nice. I recommend them. They're quick to respond to questions, too.

- Kathleen (Zone 6, NW Rhode Island)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.