Cold Front in Florida!!

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

We are going to have the first cold front of the year come through on Friday. It will drop from 84 degrees to 53 degrees...Brrrrrrr. Saturday the high will be 79 and the low 57...then it will all be over *sigh*. I always look forward to the first cold front, not that it lasts that long, but the humidity usually lowers for the rest of the winter. Thank you all my Canadian friends for sending it down! *grin*
Pati

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

I think that is the front that came through here yesterday. Forcasted low of 42 for sunday, back to a low of 73 by tuesday am.
John

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Happy we could be of service........please return the favor and give us an Indian Summer! ;)

(.....a few flakes of snow fell here today) :S

Rehoboth, MA(Zone 5a)

IJohn, where have you been? Missed you!
Maria

This message was edited Oct 16, 2004 9:07 PM

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Lilypon, snow???? Oh no.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

uh huh and ice is on my pond...... :'~(

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

The beginning of the end of summer.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I think for once I'm ready. Just think...no more mosquitoes, hurricanes or 94% humidity. The past 2 mornings in the high 50s has already knocked down the mosquitoes a bit. It got to the point after the last hurricane that I quit going out in the afternoon. Nasty critters would billow into the house when we opened the doors and we'd spend the evening swatting them. I hate the cold but I hate the mosquitoes more

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Thank you for the laugh Floridian.......I love your definition of cold! ;)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

All things are relative, Lillpon. Einstein or one of them fellas said that, I thank.:-)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

That is true....your definition of cold would seem relatively warm here right now. ;)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

I always think of this joke that earthling posted when people in the warm zones talk about being cold:

CANADIAN TEMPERATURE CONVERSION CHART
=====================================

All temperatures in Fahrenheit

70 - Texans turn on the heat and unpack the thermal underwear.
People in Canada go swimming in the Lakes.

60 - North Carolinians try to turn on the heat.
People in Canada plant gardens.

50 - Californians shiver uncontrollably.
People in Canada sunbathe.

40 - Italian and English cars won't start.
People in Canada drive with the windows down.

32 - Distilled water freezes.
Lake Superior's water gets thicker.

20 - Floridians don coats, thermal underwear, gloves, and woolly hats.
People in Canada throw on a flannel shirt.

15 - Philadelphia landlords finally turn up the heat.
People in Canada have the last cookout before it gets cold.

0 DEGREES - People in Miami all stop moving.
Canadians lick the flagpole.

20 BELOW - Californians fly away to Mexico.
People in Canada get out their winter coats.

40 BELOW - Hollywood disintegrates.
The Girl Guides of Canada are selling cookies door to door.

60 BELOW - Polar bears begin to evacuate the Arctic.
Canadian Boy Scouts postpone "Winter Survival"
classes until it gets cold enough.

80 BELOW - Mt. St. Helen's freezes.
People in Canada rent some videos.

100 BELOW - Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.
Canadians get frustrated because they can't thaw the keg.

297 BELOW - Microbial life no longer survives on dairy products.
Cows in Canada complain about farmers with cold hands.

460 BELOW - ALL atomic motion stops (absolute zero on the Kalvin
scale). People in Canada start saying,
"Cold 'nuff for ya?"

500 BELOW - @!#$ freezes over.
The Americans win a gold medal in hockey

We hit the 500 below temps this previous winter. :b

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

When I lived up north 25 yrs ago I would walk around in a light sweater in 40 degree temps. Now I must wear a heavy coat to keep warm. Go figure!

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

lolol...you've been treated to tender tropical temps for too long!

Where did you live before Tplant?

Panhandle, FL(Zone 8a)

Lilypon, love your last remark! Wonder if BT saw that?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

So do I! ;)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Relativity lives! Rock on.

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Pati, its a nice 61 degrees outside this morning. Maybe this will slide down to you.

Lilypon, Sorry I didn't respond sooner. An oversight on my part. I lived in a beautiful town in Wantagh on Long Island in New York but I just couldn't take the cold and the long winter, so when I had an oppourtunity to transfer to Florida, I jumped at it. That was in 1976. Being retired for 7 yrs, because of a disability, I really,seriously began to raise tomatoes on a much larger scale.
When the weather gets to be in the fifties I start to freeze and considering I used to walk around in a T-shirt up north in 50 degree weather - Whhaaa Happennnn?

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Tplant, I too have long ago transplanted myself out of the icy cold and feet of snow that Adirondack winters brought. to upstate New York. I can remember, if hardly credit, that 76* meant a day at the local lake playing on the beach and in the water with my babies. Now it means long sleeves if not a sweater.

Our blood has thinned to accomodate the higher temps we have adopted.... and adapted to apparantly!! lol

We're looking forward to more rain here in Utah. Perhaps the end of a seven year drought. Tho one series of storms wouldn't be the end of the drought it could be the start of a new weather pattern altogether. we'll see. Could be El Nino pattern? A small one has been mentioned.

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Acclimatizing to your temps would be wonderful Tplant..... as would growing tomatoes (and Plumerias, etc. etc.) year round. ;)

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Growing just goes slow motion here through the winter. Cold is anything below 60* and really cold below 50*. Ice (frost) on the windsheild is something to go out and photograph to share with co workers. Snow? That's a miracle that I've only seen twice in Florida in almost 50 years!

Right now we're having low 80s during the day, high 60s at night The skeeters are still a bit of a misery but it's nice to arrive at work dry! LOL

Yes it is great living in this zone. In the summer it does get hot but simply go under a tree. There is always a breeze. The only tomatoes that will grow for awhile are cherry tomatoes but peppers and eggplant seem to thrive as long as they have good air circulation.
The weather now is beautiful. Everyday the humidity seems to get lower and this makes for comfort in the garden. I will be going there shortly to water my transplant seedlings. I still wear my Aussie Outback wide brim hat for protection against the sun's rays. I can't think of anywhere else where the weather is so beautiful!

Well said, my fellow Florida Crackers!!! I always feel so sorry (and guilty) when our northern cousins come in the winter for a week or two then have to go back. How lucky are we that we never have to leave if we don't want to!!!!!
Pati

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

LOL.....y'all know how to break a northerner's heart! Here is a gift we will send your way.....it'll kill the skeeters for sure!

p.s. for those that have never seen it...it's frozen water on the serpentine and you can skate on it (when the ice has gotten thicker......unless you like polar bear swims). ;)

That thought should cool them Floridians down a bit.

Thumbnail by Lilypon
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

LOL

FROZEN WATER?!! POLAR BEAR SWIMS?!! Not for me!!! I need a thermal wet suit if my shower water is too cold. LOL
Pati

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

12 days late, but yes, BT saw that. :-)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Hey BT's back!!! :D

How's your cold lovin' zone 3 peony???

Pati you are sooooooo spoiled!! ;)

This message was edited Oct 29, 2004 9:04 AM

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

The peony is potted and in the fridge. It will get bumped to the freezer in a couple of weeks. I felt sending it from 90 degrees to 20 degrees in one day was just too cruel, so I'm giving it a slightly subtle climate change, like it would get under those frozen water flakes. What's that stuff called, again?

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

:b LOL ........it shall remain nameless.....Imma not setting out a welcoming mat yet! ;)

Now I'm really worried.....me thinks I'm up against an expert here!!!

This message was edited Oct 29, 2004 9:39 AM

Pati it's supposed to hit 46 tonight. Beautiful day outside today.

WHAT?!!! 46 degrees?!! I'm 223 miles south of you.... is supposed to get this far down? Isn't it too early for this kind of temps? This may be the year I go south for the winter. LOL
Pati

I wuv you girl. I'm still laughing.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.