Starting from seed??

Nevada, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm very new to gardening and have never started anything from seed. I wanted to try my hand at some annuals like petunias or impatiens but I didn't want to wait several weeks for them to bloom if I started them outside. Are they hard to start indoors? Do I need special equipment like grow lights? I don't have a lot of window space to sit things so do they have to be sitting near a window? Any advice you have would be great!

Lana

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Easy ones for me to grow from seed (these were my first tries also) are.. Impatiens, Coleus, Vinca (mine self seed themselves they are so easy.) I am sure others will throw in some more easy ones. One other tip - many mail order seed companies will put -easy- or -direct seed- beside their items. That will give you a good idea of other things you can grow.

You don't have to spend a lot to grow from seed either. Last year I went 'big' time (for me) and bought the cheapest flourscent lamps I could find. They are in hardware stores and are like the ones they put in garages. I believe they may have been $8 apiece. Then you buy the light bulbs, some plastic containers, seedling dirt, etc. You also don't have to buy the special flourscent lights that are more expensive if you don't want to. I also like Peat Pots a lot b/c you don't have to move your seedlings around so much. If you are not going large scale you could probably get out under $30 for the whole deal. I am sure you will probably get many other good suggestions!

Nevada, IA(Zone 5a)

So I could put regular flourescent lights in, say, my basement and they'd grow?

The reason I wanted to do this is because I have two fairly long retaining walls along two sides of my house and this year I filled them will annuals. That got to be quite an expense so I thought I'd try growing some from seed. Plus, I've been finding seeds for stuff I haven't seen locally.

Will the basement be warm enough? It is heated, but it's still cooler than the rest of the house. I've also read that some seeds need lots of moisture to germinate so would covering them with plastic wrap suffice?

Thanks for all your suggestions! They're giving me lots of ideas! :)

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Plastic wrap is what I use. The basement should be OK if it's heated but I'm no expert on that. I do know an 'old time' gardener who has used his basement for years.

I wet my soil - damp, not soaking and then cover with the wrap.

I have a problem with my seedlings getting too hot myself b/c they are in my bonus room... You might want to wait and see what others post on the basement idea..

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

You've got some good info so far. Keep saran wrap on just until you see green, then remove.
Basement would be good with lights. Keep lights about 3-4 inches over seedlings.
Don't start annuals too early. I usually start mine about Mid-March thru 1st. week of April.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Basement should work good with the extra light, I start mine in rockwool then you can plant the whole thing in the garden when your ready, but do not start seeds too early or they get too spindly, if you have empty egg cartons they make good holders for the little rockwool squares, unless you want to leave them in a sheet, and put in a tray.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Good good good advice Kareoke!! I have started to early before and the poor things were ready to quit before I got them into the yard...

The other thing I thought of is if a plant says Direct Seed (ex Cosmos) they generally mean it! I started Cosmos one year in pots in the house b/c I just couldn't WAIT - those were the ugliest Cosmos you have ever seen. Didn't live long either!

Nicole

Nevada, IA(Zone 5a)

I'm learning so much - thanks for all the great info!

The seeds I have so far that I wanted to start indoors are petunias, coleus, morning glories, and hollyhocks. When's the best time to start these? The petunias say they need 11-12 weeks before they bloom. Is March too early? I know I'm going to be SOOO impatient and it's going to be so hard to wait!

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

I tell you - if you wait at least two more weeks in addition to what the packet says you will probably be alright... But ask a pro first!!

Milo, IA(Zone 5a)

Petunias are very slow growers. You could even start them earlier than March, if you wanted too. I have grown them before under lights.

Hollyhocks could be started with the petunias or later.

Morning Glories I would start in April, they really grow fast and will vine all over, if started too early.

Coleus can be started in March or before.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

One more thing - Hollyhocks do well when you sew them outside in the fall.

Midland, TX(Zone 7b)

I've made a change and no longer use saran wrap. I buy those bowl covers at the dollar store. They are like saran wrap but have elasticized (sp?) edges to fit your container. Bowl covers are so easy to work with.

Nevada, IA(Zone 5a)

Oooh, good idea! I never would've thought of that!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, lanap---Many gardeners really recommend the "Winter Sowing" --and it might work for you...

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/wtrsow/

They say the big benefit is less muss and fuss indoors and it's not a lot of bother--no lights, etc....I tried it a little last year and had better luck than when I tried to start seeds indoors (which drove my family crazy) but I am definitely no expert...

I started another thread in the Annuals forum asking for advice on "Winter Sowing" from experienced seed starters so I'm hoping to get some other opinions....

Good luck and Happy New Year! t.

edited to fix the link

This message was edited Dec 31, 2004 12:37 PM

Dallas, TX(Zone 8a)

I also started a winter sowing thread in the "Garden Talk" forum.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/476523/

This is my first year too. I just took anything that says it self sows or reseeds, along with the suggestions of other "winter sowers" and tossed out my containers! Keep in mind I specifically sought out the advice of those who winter sow in southern climates when making my selections. And I didn't use up all my seeds just in case it doesn't work for me.

The only other tips I didn't see here as far as starting seeds indoors is the part where it's probably best to use soiless potting mix or one that says it's for starting seeds. Also, use the saran wrap (or I use the gallon sized freezer bags) just until they germinate, and when you see green take the cover off. Then run an ocilating fan on low, letting it blow across your seedlings, a few times a day. Both of those things help prevent "damping off." There is nothing worse than having these nice seedlings and they get taller, and you get happier, then one day they are all laying over flat. :( Oh, and most important of all, do NOT overwater!

One other thing, if you start drooling over seed and plant catelogs, which I'm sure you will, you will see these neat seed starting stands... then look over and see the $250+ price tag! There was a good post on the Photos forum that gave instructions on how to build your own out of pvc pipe and it cost under $40! Of course this does not include the lights. I just got a replacement bulb at Home Depot and noticed the aquarium/plant lights were $17 each. I got a "hot" bulb, a "cool" bulb, AND my shop light fixture for less than that! Anyway, I think I am going to try and build it on my own, then beg DH for help if I mess it up. Ha!

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/169142/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.