Propagating Cut Flowers

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I posted this on the propagation forum and haven't gotten a response, so I thought I would post it here to see if anyone had an answer for me.

Yesterday a friend brought me a beautiful bunch of cut flowers. I would like to root 2 of the mums. One is a pincushion type that is solid green. The other is a smallish (1 1/2 inch) open mum with a yellow center, true purple petals, and a halo effect of green petals surrounding that. The purple mum has no leaves while the green one has a very few right up around the flowers.

Has anyone rooted cut flowers like this before? If so, is it done the normal way with a rooting hormone and soil? If I can't root them, is there a comprehensive web site that has pictures of all the mums available so I can try to find these?

Carmen

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I have had some luck with that Carmen, give it a try.
Cut the bloom off, make a fresh cut on the stem, dust with rooting powder and put it in well draining potting mix or perlite.

San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Carmen, I have read that you can root cut roses just as Rikerbear states. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Will do! Thanks for the help.

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I tried with carnation and roses. I never have much luck with roses b/c they always mush, but the carnations put on new growth although they didn't root. Don't forget to let us know your results!

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

yes...please....DH occaisionally brings me these incredible dark purple Carnations...would LOVE to try rooting them! He's going to think I've lost my mind when he brings the next bouquet home and I lop off all their blooms! LOL Looking forward to it just for the exprwession on his face! Poor DH, so abused.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

How Mortisha Adams of you....... LOL
Now remember LOTS of carnations from florist are dyed to the color you see, not grown that way.
You may only get a white flower and not the pretty purple you want.

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

True, I thought of dye, too. The first time he brought them tho', I looked really close and it appears to be natural color.........but rooting will tell me for sure! I know he'll think of Morticia also! (after he gets over the shock)

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

:-)

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

I tried to root fowers from bouquets with my old rooting hormone. My new one works a lot better (almost 100%), it's gel with fungicide. My old one was powder and no fungicide so I lost alot of cuttings.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I've never heard of gel with fungicide. What's the brand name, and where did you get it?

Modesto, CA(Zone 8b)

Yes........do tell!

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

Lol. I ordered it on ebay, it's a canadian brand, you won't find it in the stores here. Also, I don't know if this particular gel works better than other gels but it's just the first gel I've tried and seems to work the best and costs the least.
Hautaviita is selling some right now. It's called Wilson's Liquid Root Stimulator. Roots with Fungicide!

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

where do you order it ?????

Brookeville, MD(Zone 7a)

"I ordered it on ebay"...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.