What kind of TLC needed for Eucalyptus?

Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

As you all know Frank's is going out of business and I may have gotten a good buy on a tree fern and a eucalyptus but I haven't any experience with 10 foot tall trees in the house. I am in zone 5 and it is too late to put the tree outside in the ground even if it happens to be hardy here which I doubt. I would like to have comments from anyone who has grown eucalyptus inside. It must have languished at Franks because most of the leaves are dead but once I got it here and started watering it, new growth started up. Most ot the new branches are at the bottom but until today there were a fair number clear to the top. To day the new growth from the midpoint up is dehydrating or dying back very quickly. The lower growth is fine and the trunk is quite healthy. I think this is a silver dollar eucalyptus but I need to do some research before I can be sure. Thanks for any advice you can give. Jessamine

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

I have no idea about growing it inside, but you are correct about it not being hardy in zone 5. I think the most hardy ones are only hardy to zone 8a or 8b. I do know outside they want as much direct sunlight as you can give them, so you might have difficulty inside. Most do like really low humidity, so that will hopefully be a plus for you indoors.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.