Favorite Fall Flowers Thread?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Here's a pic of my favorite Dahlias. Wicky Woo.

This message was edited Oct 12, 2004 1:35 PM

Thumbnail by Karrie20x

Wow, beautiful colours!! (LOL, just realized I'm wearing the darker colour today)

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

What a pretty dahlia! My scabiosa "Butterfly Blue" is putting on a nice fall show and I have a white foxglove that is blooming for the first time this year.
Hope it makes its through the winter. I do not always have good luck with them lasting for a second year.

Susan

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Here's the white fox glove.

Thumbnail by lincolnitess
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I just love foxglove, but have never had any luck getting them to germinate!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

The white one I bought already started this year, but I do have a pink one that ususally reseeds for me. Not heavily, but I uusually have 2 or 3 blooming each year. I've started a couple other ones this fall. ONe is called a Rusty foxglove and I think the other one was Carosel. Hope they make it.

Susan

Battle Ground, WA(Zone 8a)

Foxgloves are bienniels, aren't they? I have some planted last summer, and all I got this summer was amazing growth and lots of foliage. I assume they will bloom next year? (At least those I keep in the ground. When I say they have experienced growth, I'm not kidding! They're everywhere!)

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I think they will bloom again for you, but you should also get seedlings in the spring, from seed drops - so careful where you till.

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Here's my favorite,

Thumbnail by OldFlowerGirl
Klamath Falls, OR(Zone 6a)

Karrie20x, I see we are in the same zone. Do you have to lift your dahlia tubers each year, or do they overwinter with only mulch? I love them, but I've been afraid to grow cause they just seem like too much trouble.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

Sharvis,

I have to lift my dahlias. I have tried in the past to mulch them, and even in mild winters, they don't come back here. Just a little too cold here where I live. Not looking forward to it - I have alot of cannas & dahlias to lift yet, and will probably have to hire someone to do it for me. I have something wrong with my back and neck and will not be able to get to it. Yeah.

Aw, I was watching this thread with glee, thinking I'd plant some dalias next year-they're so pretty. Question though, if they don't survive zone 6a winters, can I just plant new ones in the spring, or are they better once they're oldler; will the bulbs rot or just turn to mulch? I don't have any place to overwinter plants other than in the garden so digging them up each year isn't an option for me. Its either tough perennials or annuals for me. Thanks!

CREZIERES, France(Zone 8a)

You don't need to overwinter the dahlias as plants, just as tubers. A frost-free garage is a good place, or, if your garage gets too cold, how about your roof space? Or wrap them up in several layers of sacking in the garage, that will generally keep the frost out.

Dig them up, dry them out and into the garage - that has always worked for me...

Mike

My garage gets really icy cold, but if you think they'll be okay wraped up in sacking I'll try that, thanks! Now just to decide on what colours.... on well, I have time ...lol. Thanks again cinemike.

Klamath Falls, OR(Zone 6a)

Thanks K20x, think I'll just stick to those many plants that do make it through the winter here.

Mike, why in the world would you lift tubers when you live in zone 9a (you lucky dog!)?

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I plan on storing mine in a box, down in the basement.

My basement's above ground, finished and toasty warm ... sigh ... so that wouldn't work for me unfortunately. Gotta get a "real house" someday - we have a 3 storey townhouse; great for exercise though, jsut run up and down those stairs a few times every day and who needs a gym...lol.

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Christine, I have always overwintered by Dahlia tubers in buckets filled with peat moss and stored in the basement, or a very cold room. This year, I have the same problem as you do, our new home's basement is completely finished and insulated, just too warm for storage. I plan on storing them the same as I have in the past, along with my canna tubers, in an unheated storage shed. I don't think it will get cold enough inside to freeze. (((I hope!!))

I can do that. Thanks Donna! Sillly question time - do you water them at all over the winter?

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

I sprinkled them a few times last year, just cause they were in the house, and not as cold as they could have been, as we had to go in and out on occassion. But in years past when they were in the basement cold room in the dark and undisturbed, I didn't and they were fine.

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

OK! Now let's see some more fall pictures! :-)

Castlegar, BC(Zone 6b)

Here's my favorite dahlia, and still going strong. Powder Puff Dahlia, Blue Bayou.

That's so pretty!!

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

gorgeous!

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

some of my favorite dahlias.....................

Thumbnail by RikerBear
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

I little more color.....................

Thumbnail by RikerBear
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

wooo hoooooooooooooooo Marc!

I have some like those white ones (the are called cactus dahlias, or something like that) , and next year will have some of the mexican blankets you gave me.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I lost track of this thread.... glad I found it again
love the teddy OFG, and all dahlias

rikerbear, Your multi pic photos are great. I gotta learn to do that.

I've got a new fall favorite. The pink gaura I got this year has finally decided to flower. It's a definite winner.

Thumbnail by BloomsWithaView
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Thanks Blooms :-)

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

This is one of my favorites, although it is taking over my front flowerbed. I can't remember what it is called. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by mgh

Here's a close-up of a bloom.

Thumbnail by mgh
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Whatever it is it's lovely

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Hi - it's an Osteospermum - they die each winter here and each spring I add another. Here's pic of mine with skipper of some kind enjoying.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Adding it's also called African Daisy

Thank you sooo much Blooms! My sister has told me several times the name of this, but I never write it down and for some reason I can't remember the name......I can barely even pronounce it, how am I supposed to remember it?!! LOL! Thanks for the common name....much easier to remember! I am going to add it to my have list right now!!

I planted this one summer '03. It died back quite a bit, but came back full-bore this year.

Thanks again!

Mendy

Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

I just love getting the pink, purple & reds during the fall, not just the oranges and yellows!

Sacramento, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't have a photo to post, but my princess flower (Tibouchina) is going full blast still. It is over 8 feet tall - time for drastic pruning.

Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

A couple of my favorite mums.....................

Thumbnail by RikerBear
Seattle, WA(Zone 8b)

Mums the word...............

Thumbnail by RikerBear
Spokane, WA(Zone 5b)

That's just gorgeous Marc! Oops! forgot Mums the word........

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.