Styrax japonica 'Pink Chimes'

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Does anyone know if Pink Chimes Stryax comes true from seed? We have the 'regular' Styrax japonica, that self seeds readily,,,A newly planted Pink Chimes, is loaded with seeds, curious if it's worthwhile growing them on. We have checked Dirr and other manuals re propagation, and no mention of Pink Chimes,,,Thanks

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

I am bringing this one back to the top in hopes someone may have an answer. The fun thing was---I was watching an old episode of A Gardener's Diary. She showed a beautiful tree and said this name. I came here and did a search and this is the post that came up!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

It's a beautiful tree. There is one coming into bloom near me and I'll get some pics. I doubt it will come true from seed but it doesn't hurt to try.

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

My Styrax jap Pink Chimes is coincidentally blooming today.
It's just faintly pink, at least in my yard.
Still it's a pretty tree.

Thumbnail by Weerobin
Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Even though they are faintly pink, quite a nice addtion to the garden.

Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Lovely weerobin!

Salem, OR(Zone 5a)

In almost any case, seed won't come true off of a cultivar. Red Sunset drops red maple seed, not Red Sunset although they some times do have some of the fall color characteristics, but it's quite variable. Acer palmatum cultivars make seed, but when they grow, who the heck knows what they actually are. Pink Chimes being as faint as it is, I would imagine it would have a really hard time throwing seeds that showed any pink. It's a good rule of thumb, if you want the real deal, graft, bud, or cuttings always make a true form.

Thumbnail by johnnyvino
Alamogordo, NM(Zone 7b)

Thanks for that info Johnny!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Then again, new cultivars are discovered this way.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Hey Johnny - nice to see you in this forum! We still haven't collected any of the seeds but figured they wouldn't come true anyway. Say hello to Laurie and Steve for us :)

Totally off topic, but if you're still watching this thread, any advice you can give on Asimina? They are painfully slow growing and barely rooted after a year! The mature trees on the property are gorgeous and I'm patiently waiting for these babies to take off.

Debbie

Saint Louis, MO(Zone 6a)

I planted an asimina 6-7 years ago.
In my experience, it grows very fast.
And reseeds with reckless abandon.
The seedlings are easy to remove, so it's not a major hassle.
I have found it to be a very vigorous grower with no special attention.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.