Mascagnia lilacina buds and blooms

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

My mascagnia lilacina has been trying to bloom all week, but we've had so much rain, it has tried to wait. It finally opened, anyway. It probably won't get pollinated, with all this rain beating the pollen off...*sigh*
I was hoping for seeds, too...
...maybe next year...
-seedpicker_TX

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX

here is a close-up...
They remind me a lot of crepe myrtle blooms, and the leaves even look similar, too...
-seedpicker_TX

Thumbnail by seedpicker_TX
Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Very pretty! I really like the color.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Well .. maybe some will float over to where i t will pollinated.. it is such an open flower with no protection naturally .. such a georgeous bloom.. distinctive....
Gordon

Cedar Key, FL(Zone 9a)

Beautiful!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, something new all the time; I am just amazed at all the great tropical vines that you Texans can grow.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

wow that is beautiful. It is like the yellow butterfly vine right???

Yes, this is the purple version. The flowers are similar, except for the color. The leaves are pretty different, though. The yellow one has long thin, narrow leaves, while this one has oval leaves, that look a lot like crepe myrtle leaves.

Both have sort of small flowers, but in mass they are really pretty.
-seedpicker_TX

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

do these seeds?? or do you have to buy the plants?? i have been thinking about trying to find one but not sure if seeds or plants i need to look for.

i am wondering if they will also do down here in south carolina? thanks

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

i just love the purple one. as purple is my favorite color.

BEAUTIFUL!!!!

Imzadi-They are very hard to find. It took me three years to find this one. I finally found a nursery in Arizona that had them, but they wouldn't ship. It took me a while, but I found a trader in Arizona who was willing to send it to me, if I would pay for it, and shipping, and send her a nice trade. It was worth it.
So far it has not set seeds. That is why I was so disappointed it opened in the rain! I was really hoping the pollen would get transferred to the flowers, and I could get some seeds...
Fortunately, the sun is coming out, and not all of them have opened, so there is still hope. Wish me luck on the seeds, and I wish you luck on finding one, too. So far, I have not rooted any cuttings. I think I'll try this year, but stems are pretty floppy. Most cuttings root best if the stems are stiff... :o(
-Taylor

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Taylor, she is certainly pretty. Will cross my fingers that some pollination has occured.

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Sorry to hear about the rain seedpicker. If it's any consolation to you, mine has never made seeds, while the yellow one is always covered with them, and they are only a few feet apart. Maybe bugs just like yellow better lol.

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Just beautiful! I love the color!

Mc Call Creek, MS

Hey Girl! Your pictures are pretty! How many flowers did you get? Mine only made two little bunches. I don't see any seeds either.

My vine is real long and skinny without any other feeders coming out of the root. Is yours like that, too?

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Oh Kay you have this one???? I have the yellow and it is just starting to bloom in the pot. My back up plant lol. The one in the ground in a pot hasn't done anything

Hi Kay!
I got two really nice clusters off one plant that is in a quart container. The two year old plant in the ground hasn't bloomed, yet. My other backup one is in a pretty small pot, and hasn't bloomed,yet, either. I've heard constricting the roots will force blooms better, and it seems to be the case with this one. Donna's plants second that...

I've seen a cabbage butterfly on them, and some bees, but the flowers just keep falling off without a forming pod! *ugh!

There are still some to go, so I am trying to keep optimistic.

Mine all have several shoots, but still not that many. The one in the ground has two primary vine lengths, and the one in the very small pot has two, also. The one in the quart that is blooming has about five, or six.

I guess we'll just have to be patient with these, as I imagine that it will take a few years for them to really grow and get productive. My milletia reticulata took FOREVER to get going, but is now a monster and producing well.

You know what they say...first year it sleeps, second year it creeps, and the third year it LEAPS! lol...

-seedpicker_TX

Mc Call Creek, MS

Donna, that's the one under the pine tree in back in a pot with all the wire around it. Actually the flowers look just like the yellow one to me, except for the color. Like Seedpicker, I think en masse (is that how you spell it?), the vine will be much prettier. She and I got these vines from the same lady in Phoenix at the same time. We hornswaggled her into going shopping for us at the only nursery in the world (apparently) who carries this vine. She was wonderful about it.

If I ever get it going good and can get some decent cuttings, you and Clare will be first on the list of recipients.

Seedpicker, I hope you are right, and that one day they will LEAP for us. I looked at my pictures and compared them to yours. Yours are much better pictures than mine are, so I won't post them here.

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Oh goody! Kay knows me so well! LOL! Hugs! By the way, Kay, I took some more Iochroma cuttings for you today. I'm still trying to get that darn one to root!

Indigoez-...you know bees actually DO like yellow better. It is a fact. Yellow is what they are most attracted to, ...Guess that is why God made stamens/(pollen) yellow...

This is why I can't understand why most hummingbird feeders have a yellow bee guard!
It only attracts them! My hummer feeders turn into bee stations, by the end of each season...
-seedpicker_TX

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.