A Trail in Tennessee to see lady slippers in bloom in May.

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

http://www.state.tn.us/environment/nh/natareas/savage/

It is not a hard hike to the lady slippers because they are growing by the path on both sides just a few feet into the hike. It is beautiful place and I try to visit there every year.It is my early Mother's day pinic
request. Be there in late april or early May.Might even see some Bucks (Deer) along the path.

I can't find the image of the cyps.

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

Oh, they do not have an image of the lady slippers but boy they have them there! They don't advertise it as far as I know. There's a Quickie mart at the place where you turn to go to the park and sometimes this man sells lady slippers out front of the market for $5.00. I don't have any pictures either. I'll take some this year and post them in May. I just thought somebody would be interested in seeing alot in bloom in the wild,if they were in the area or planning to visit.

Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

Here Is an update for you guys who like wild orchids and nice hikes.I went today and it was raining but I was thrilled with the cool temps and lovely hike.I will post some pics of what I saw.

Thumbnail by cceamore
Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

Here is what I found today all along the path.

Thumbnail by cceamore
Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

Here is the water fall there

Thumbnail by cceamore
Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

Here is one more of the Lady slippers on the way back to the car.

Thumbnail by cceamore
Hixson, TN(Zone 7a)

We also saw rattlesnake plantain and cranefly orchids and rose twisted stalk,solomon seal,and bellwort,ginger and wild azaelas.If you get a chance take a trip and enjoy a little piece of heaven just do it!
Have a nice spring&summer,
Celeste

This message was edited May 5, 2005 10:04 PM

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

What great advice.
>>If you get a chance take a trip and enjoy a little piece of heaven just do it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.