Orange Coneflowers

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

Saw these at the store today. They were awesome - Does anyone have them? Does anyone know where to get some? The place I was at they were 19.95. I'm hoping by next spring they are much lower than that. I checked Ebay - nothing

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

I am really interested in these as well. I also checked ebay several times during the summer and the ending bids were well over $20.00. Hoping the price will go down somewhat in a year or so. Good luck in your search.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Orange coneflowers? Hmmm..I'm very interested. I'll be on the lookout too.

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

I already like the purple and white so this new color looked awesome...... but I'm not ready to spend 20.00 just yet.... Hopefully by next spring or fall they'll be more abundant..... "Good things come to those who wait " I just have to keep telling myself this until we find them.....

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

I see NO pitter .. (hee) .. or, have I up and went completely blind already ?? .. ha!

Orange'uns, 'ey ?!? ...

Any chance you got a pic to post ... ?

I, too, would be most interested in these .. !!

- Magpye

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

I don't know how to post links but if you go to the Monrovia website and Gardeners/ New and find Orange Meadowbrite Coneflower they have a picture.... They even have a color called Mango..... which is awesome too..... but I don't think you can order from them directly can you ? Don't they usually just work with nurserys...... I'm really hoping they's be available more reasonably next season......

www.monrovia.com

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Ahhh, so .. it is VERY NEW ...

Found this comment .. on one of the sites (listed in previous posts):

" Supply is limited to Chicago area Garden Centers for Spring 2004 through Monrovia Nurseries. Some Licensed growers may have availability of plugs to ship during 2004 for 2005 sales. General distribution to nationwide garden centers is targeted for Spring 2005.

If you are interested in being put on a Waiting List for the first availability, please contact Mary Walters at Walters Gardens. 1-888-925-8377 x 215 "

That ^ would explain a whole lot .. for sure, 'ey ?!?

Sure do thank you vs71099 .. for bringing the 'new' plant and its beautiful color .. to my attention ...
Along with the weblinks .. by both of you folks .. !!

- Magpye

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

just don't forget us when you have extra seeds........ (big grin)

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

I got the mango at www.whiteflowerfarm for l2.95 and they have the orange meadowbrite one too, or had it I don't know if they'd have it this late in the season though, their both orange, one is really bright orange the other is pale orange.

kathy

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

Thanks Kathy_ann....... If I didn't have winter just around the corner I might do 12.95..... I'll keep the website and maybe next spring......

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

kathy_ann ... thanks so much, for the link ... It didn't 'come thru' quite right tho' ...
Sure hope you don't mind my taking the liberty (here) .. http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/
( .. Jes tryin' to hep .. )

- magpye

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I just ordered and received two of these as tiny babies from Jackson and Perkins. They were pricey as you said but I splurged.

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

I got the Orange Meadowbrite early in the summer, it did really well here. I love the color of the flowers. The local nurseries that offered it, all had gallon size pots for $19.95, nobody had them for less, and even now, there is one nursery that still has a few, but they are not marked down (all their other perennials are 1/2 off).
Deb

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

momcat, you didn't happen to save those seeds did you?

Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

magpie, no problem there, I was in a hurry, LOL I didn't save any seed off my mango, or the others, prairie frost, sparkler, fragrant angel, a few other unusual ones, because they don't grow true to seed, from what I hear, their regular coneflowers, not the ones that come from the mother plant. their what's that called, genetically engineered LOL.

kathy

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

No, I didn't save any seeds, I can go check to see if there are any left on the dried flower heads. They won't come true to seed, but if there are seeds left, I wouldn't mind sending them if anyone is interested. I'll check when I get home.
Deb

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

Momcat, Are you home yet ? LOL ....... I'm splurging next year if seed doesn't work....

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I keep checking in case there is an end of summer sale but the orange ones are still $15 or more

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Cherishlife, I checked but no flower heads left on the plant. Sorry.
Deb

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

Oh, no problem. I didn't even know enough about the new ones to know that they weren't true to seed anyway. Thanks for checking though.

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Parks has this for $5 off right now, I just ordered one. That brings the price down to 14.95, which is still pricey, especially for a 3 inch pot. But I really, really wanted one! Their sales don't last very long, if you want one I wouldn't wait!
Cindy

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

I'll have to check it out. I went out on an limb and was thrilled with the Orange Meadowbrite, it was better than I thought it would be. It has a nice subtle fragrance and the color is out of this world. Unfortunately the voles ate it up...next one goes in the ground with a mesh cage...

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

I'm both glad to hear that you enjoyed the plant and sad for you- how disheartening to have such a nice plant eaten up by voles!
I have a lot of them around but my cats usually get them. Maybe I should use a mesh cage too just in case.
Where is Haydenville?

Yucaipa, CA(Zone 9a)

esw:

Tell me about the mesh cage.

I have gophers.

They only eat the plants I really
like!!

They missed 1 (don't tell them!).

I have this theory that it's because
there is a butterfly on a metal rod
in the plant. I think they might have
learned the rod is not edible, so they
leave the whole plant alone.

They ate 1 of 2 Canna's that were
only a foot apart. When they took
the 1; I put a metal rod next to the
other, tied the plant to the rod, &
put rocks around it, too!! The plants's
still there, so I'm assuming the rod
is what saved it.

Anyway, that's my theory & evidence.

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

KE6KAD,
You may be on to something here..... my father swears by his method which is a metal rod in the ground with a plastic 2 liter bottle over it .... he says the vibration/sound that the bottle makes blowing in the wind against the rod keeps them away .......

I'm planning to experiment with this - this year...... Hope it's just that easy ........

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Sorry, wandered offline for a bit.
After I found that my lilies were dissappearing from just below ground level (right after I ordered a bunch and was getting ready to plant this year) I did a little on-line research and found a couple of non-poison recommendations. I have tried both and hope that the plants and bulbs will survive and not end up as lundh.
The first is vole bloc...expanded slate (looks like smallish gravel and has angular rather than round edges). The bulbs are planted with a surround of the material - big hole, then 2-3 inches of bloc then the bulbs are placed and covered with a 50:50 mix of dirt/bloc and ultimately mulched with the bloc....Not cheap, but I didn't want to lose a bunch of relatively expensive bulbs.
The second that I tried is a wire mesh cage I built from 1/4" hardware cloth...the first few were boxes, later I made a tube and instead of having a wire bottom, I used the vole bloc at the bottom and for mulch. Saved a lot of time and energy cutting the mesh and 'sewing' it together with wire. 1/4' mesh is importatnt to keep voles out as they are so small...a couple of the university/ag websites talked about this.
Sorry for the long post.

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Oceangirl,
Haydenville is in the Pioneer (Connecticut River) Valley in west/central Massachusetts, just north of Northampton. Mashpee is on the Cape, right?

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Thanks esw. I think I'll get a map to put over my desk to see where alll my DG friends live! Yes, Mashpee is on the Cape.

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Wayside has two new coneflowers- Sunset, orange like Art's pride, but with bigger flowers, and Sunrise, a soft yellow one.

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

Yes, I have seen those. I think I like the more slender and droopy petals of the Orange and Mango Meadowbrite better... I would like to see 'Sunrise' and 'Sunset' together with the others....Do you know which echinacea were crossed to get these?
Sue

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

I just placed an order from the Busse Gardens catalog for....Echinacea "Sunset" and Echinacea "Sunrise". The catalog price was $12 each...and I just had to have them. I also ordered Dicentra "Gold Heart"

Am I bad :) Deb

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

Deb, you got good deals on them, they were 19.95 at Wayside... Ilove the Dicentra, too, been thinking about that one..

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I posted this in the TX forum, but here goes: www.flowerscentgardens.com is sellling orange echinacea for $6.95 ea. I bought 4. Glenn Varner sounded very nice on the phone and I noticed they have 100% rating in garden watchdog. Oh, I luv bargains. He said he had lots available and also carries white echinacea.

Trunnels just brought to our attention that the owner/grower explains in his website that there is a risk you might get "Mango" mixed in w/ your Art's Pride echinacea. Though it's supposed to be a small risk, if this messes up your color scheme, maybe it's not as good a bargain for some of you. I appreciate Trunnels for having a "sharp" eye and Glenn Varner for being up front about what he's offering.

Note to self: be a lurker instead of too hasty w/ tips...

This message was edited Jan 20, 2005 1:41 PM

Leesville, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the tip vossner. I already placed an order with them as well and can't wait to get it. The cheapest I have seen these is $12.95, so this is great.

East Barre, VT(Zone 4a)

I've just ordered the orange and the yellow coneflowers. I can't wait til they are shipped. For Christmas, I gave my dad a gift certificate for two of these, and my day's labor in his garden. Can't wait til the 3 feet of northeastern snow which fell yesterday to melt, and the ground to thaw enough to get out and play again!

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

If it's not bad enough trying to find the orange and yellows..... Check this one out at Park's.....

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&mainPage=prod2working&jspStoreDir=Park&ItemId=48056&cm_mmc=park-_-news-_-parknews200501c-_-48056&catalogId=10066&langId=-1

I hope the link works

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

won't these people STOP tempting us!

Cape Cod, MA(Zone 7a)

They're smart, they know we're weak!

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

I bought one of these orange echinaceas at a local nursery last summer and the snails ate it almost all the way down to the ground the first night after I planted it, so they obviously are appealing to all kinds of critters (in addition to us). I have a lot of moles and gophers in my garden (I'm not sure what voles are, but they must be similar; we don't have them in Northern California). I pour a little Pine-Sol into their tunnels and they go away. They don't die or actually leave the property, but they will avoid that flower bed for a while. Its' not that surprising, I suppose. I hate the smell of Pine-Sol so why wouldn't they?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.