Fruit of Vitifolia

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

You think lemons have puckering power,thats nothing to the sour tasting of Vitifolia.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

are those seeds in there?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Sure is,here they are now cleaned and drying.

Thumbnail by Tropicman
Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

T-man, I tried them a couple of years ago, boy were they sour. The fruit never got soft and shriveled like other passifloras either. When it was ripe, it just fell off the vine, but the shell was hard. What did you pollinate that one with?

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I pollinated it with caerula,but the birds or bees might have gotten to her first with incarnata,as I had it growing outside in a container.
I did Lady Margaret with Belotti,hoping to get a fragrance to pass along to Lady Margaret,do the seeds need to dry first before planting?

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Don, I would soak those seeds in hot water for 24-48 hours before planting. The water just needs to start out hand hot and should be changed every 24 hours.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks will do,then no drying or chilling is needed?

I think you can plant them directly from the fruit or go through the whole cleaning, drying, and soaking process. Either method should work well. The cleaning drying and soaking method may work a little faster, but I'm not positive about that.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

I know those seeds,I recieved from Mitjo,I just planted,as they look as they had been cleaned,is what I also did.
And they germinated in 2 weeks.

Don, two weeks is really fast. Mine came up in 60-90 days. I think some germinate faster than others.

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Well those were Edulis and ligularis seeds,that germinated that fast.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Poppysue told me to put them(vitifolia seeds) in a wet papertowel to germinate. I soaked them, wrapped them in a wet paper towel and put them in a baggie on top of the hot water heater. When I saw the little root thingie coming out of the seed(it looked like a hair), then I planted them in potting soil and put on a heat mat. I guess the whole process took about 4-6 weeks.
I planted rubra seeds in potting soil, they germinated fast, about 2 weeks.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Here is a link to the page I used for reference when I started mine from seed & I had good germination rates. You will have to move down the page a bit to PROPAGATION.
http://www.floridata.com/ref/p/pass_cae.cfm

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Thanks guys,I might just try several germinating techniques...

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

I think this is a caerulea or a Constance Elliot caerulea (white flowers). I found the fruit at the nursery. It was orange, the right color. Check out the top leaves they are at 5 now and growing.

Thumbnail by RichSwanner

That seed took a week to germinate. I put in three and got that plant. This is from 09/29/04

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

would anyone have one or two seeds to spare

Bushland, TX(Zone 6a)

Monterey,first one looks like my long finger caerula.

Same plant in both pics sounds good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.