distictis is blooming!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

My friend gave me this vine and I love it! It starts out dark and turns almost white, so there are different shades on the same cluster of flowers.

Thumbnail by Calalily
Judsonia, AR(Zone 7b)

well, that's neat, never heard of this, what's the common name, or is that it, LOL see what I mean, told you I never heard of it.

kathy

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Very pretty Calalily! How long has it been blooming? I really like the trumpet vines. Is it evergreen for you?

Spring Valley, CA(Zone 10a)

I've seen different forms of Distictis riversii. I have a friend who I want to get a cutting from who has a very deep purple form with the orange eye. Others I have seen are much lighter.

Also, I've seen very deep red forms of Distictis buccinatoria.

Here in San Diego, they grow very quickly. If you've got the room, they can make a magnificent vine, but you have to clean out the old, dead growth periodically. They grow very fast.

-Ron-

Pudgy, it's been evergreen since Dec, so guess it will be all the time.
Ron, I need to plant this where it can climb on something. Right now it's just in a very big pot and I've got it twined around the top. I had D. bluccinatoria but I managed to overwater it and killed it.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

I've been wanting one of those ever since I saw the picture of Kell's. I've never seen one at any of the nurseries here in San Antonio. When I looked on the internet all I could find were nurseries in California, and none of them were mailorder nurseries. If anyone knows of a mailorder nursery that sells them, please let me know.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

Beautiful vine. I've been hoping to find one, but they sure aren't available online.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the info Calalily,
I have the pink but have not gotten blooms yet. I just planted it from seed this spring so did not really know what to expect.

Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Very nice Cala... I had one last year but it died over the winter. I got mine from Logee's, but I don't know if they still have any or not.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I found this on the Net, but not where I could buy it
Distictis laxiflora, also called the Vanilla Trumpet Vine because of the sweet aroma of its flowers, is member of the Bignonia Family (Bignoniaceae) from Mexico. It is an evergreen vine that grows 16-25 ft tall. The fragrant flowers appear from summer through fall and at first are lavender and then fade to white. Plant in full sun to light shade. Hardy to 20-25 degrees F with moderate to low water needs. It is thought that this is one parent of the beautiful Royal Trumpet Vine (Distictis 'River's'). The other parent is believed to be the Red Trumpet Vine, Distictis buccinatoria.

Thumbnail by kareoke
San Jose, CA(Zone 9b)

Very pretty, Calalily. I have one too, but it is still young and doesn't produce many flowers, yet. I enjoy seeing what I have to look forward to. Patience, patience...

Kareoke, I saw that too and I want one! I figured since it grew in Mexico that it would be available here, but I haven't seen it. I will try asking for it by the other names.

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Calalily if you find PLEASE let me know, I WANT ONE!!!!!!! NOW *LOL*

If I find some for sale I'll let you guys know. It's busy planting season here now and nurseries are getting in stuff. I have to get used to the weird planting dates down here! I kept looking in spring for the nurseries to get in their big shipments of plants and never saw any, lol. I asked my favorite nursery when he would get more stuff in and he said Sept they start planting and October is big planting month down here. Gentry's is supposed to get in a big shipment Monday, so I'll schedule a trip there.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 9a)

Susie, keep us posted. We haven't gotten much at our nurseries here this year either in San Antonio.

I talked to the man at Gentry's Nursery. He will get the Vanilla one for me but it will be June or July before they come in.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.