Optimal Temp Inside GH

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Okay, I am not complaining and I know that some of you are already freezing cold but our GH we just got up is getting so hot. It is 72 outside right now- should be 79 by the end of the day. It is already 99.4 inside the greenhouse this morning!

We will have mostly peppers, tomatoes, lettuces and some succulents in there. What temp should I try to keep it during the day? I can open the doors and the roof vent to let out heat.

(and the reason we have a greenhouse if you are wondering is that we live by the ocean and the nighttime temps and ocean breezes make for really cool evenings which are bad for the peppers.)

North Scituate, RI(Zone 6a)

If you're growing peppers and tomatoes, you want very warm temperatures during the day, at least. But 99.4 degrees sounds a bit too high. I would open the vents and get a fan going in there. Stagnant air isn't good for ANY plant.

If you're getting sufficient sunshine, I'd try to keep the temperature at about 85 degrees during the day. Close up the greenhouse for the night when the temperature in there drops to 75 or so.

- Kathleen

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Thank you- the short and sweet answer that I was looking for! : )

There are no plants in there yet and today I left the door closed for a long while- at least until it hit 79 and inside the GH it was 104.4! Goodness!

I opened the door and the roof vent and left it until the sun wasnt hitting it at all (about 6:30 pm) and it went to 72 inside. Obviously we are going to have to watch this like hawks. Especially on the days when we have loads of marine layer til noon and then it clears fast and gets hot.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Dais'... there are automatic vent openers/closers (non-electric) that can be set to certain temps to open and close. They work on some sort of phase-change material. Might be handy once you get temps figured out.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

hmmmm..... Never heard of those before. TY

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Dais' they were developed many years ago in the US SW as part of the solar/greenhouse movement. I have seen them in greenhouse supply websites so they are available commercially.

I don't remember the man's name, but it's the guy who did Zomeworks, among other things... (like Beadwall).

This message was edited Oct 8, 2004 10:58 AM

San Jose, CA(Zone 9a)

Daisy...check out Charleys Greenhouse...
They have them... http://www.charleysgreenhouse.com/catalog/index.cfm?page=_Level1Display&CategoryId=200

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks ya'll. That is the coolest invention I have seen in a long while!

North Scituate, RI(Zone 6a)

I have two automatic roof vents in my Rion greenhouse. I think they operate by the expansion/contraction of the metal caused by heat/cooling. They work as well as the electric roof vents I have in the lean-to gh.

I should have mentioned them in my first post!

- Kathleen

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.