Colour coding Louisiana Iris

Northern Rivers NSW, Australia(Zone 7b)

Had a friend come around and help me colour code some of my "early bloomers" . I thought it made a good photo of the pile after we had finished.

Holty in OZ,

Thumbnail by holty

Looks like you have a lot of beautiful irises. Are they all blooming now?

Yes these early bloomers are . The other 15 or so colours will join in over the next 4/6 weeks . I have about 4000 planted in 5 joining beds and look forward to "the early morning bloom check" at this time of year..

Holty

Thumbnail by holty
Port Neches, TX(Zone 9a)

I love Louisiana iris. I have a few. Do you save the seed?

Yes I do for some and hopefully want to start crossing some when time permits. I like the "older" styles with less complicated and more pastel colour patterns as they suit the style of my house and garden . My favourite is "Old South" .
Holty in OZ..

Photo taken at 5.15 am hence poor colour .

This message was edited Oct 7, 2004 4:34 PM

Thumbnail by holty
Port Neches, TX(Zone 9a)

I envy your gardens. I moved from the country into town, as I am not able to take care of so much. I like all the Louisiana iris, no matter what color. They do well where I live here on the Gulf Coast of Texas.

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Wow, those are beautiful! Thanks for sharing the photo....I think I found another addiction now! Just what I needed! I'm gonna have to get some of those Louisiana Iris!

A few more to keep you interested.

Thumbnail by holty
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Holty--those are fabulous photos. The Louisiana iris are beautiful. Hope you keep posting the later season blooms. t.

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

They are beautiful. Could you by chance post a picture of the seedpod and seed?

I've been thinking for years I had a japanese iris and now think it might be a japanese iris because of the seedpod.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Hi Holty,

Your LAs are really TDF. Are any of them from Heather or Bernard Pryor? Are you hybridizing your own?

How far you the North Coast are you? I mean towards Cairns or Brisbane or ?????

In sugarcane country? On the coast or inland or????

Ginny in Manitoba Canada with all LAs tucked into pots in the house under lights.

Hi Ginny ,
Have about 5000 /25 to 30 named . No Pryors that I know of . I live at Nth Woodburn in northern New South Wales about 90 minutes from the Queensland border on the Richmond River and about 5 minutes from the Ocean . You can see/read about what I am into on my "hobby " website at www.holtys.com.au if you wish .

Best Wishes
Holty in OZ.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

My goodness! 4000?? Welcome to obsession! Love it !!!

Metairie, LA(Zone 9b)

Holty,

The block of nine LA iris pictures posted on October 9..... do you know the name of the pale blue cultivar in the center?

Patrick

Crossville, TN(Zone 7a)

That really blue one in the middle (fourth picture) is stunning!

pale blue is Malibu Magic I think ? and the "velvety purple" is Jeri , again I think !

I love them , ALL !

Holty.......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.