Caesalpinia decapetala - Mysore thorn

Spring Valley, CA(Zone 10a)

I thought I'd post these images I found of Caesalpinia decapetala. There are two common varieties, v. sepiaria and v. japonica.

Apparently v. japonica is the more desireable form. It gets rampant in the tropics and is considered an invasive, but is much better behaved in Mediterranean climates.

I'd like to try seeds of this plant. I live on a steep hillside and have it fenced in because I have two Bullmastiff sisters. Anyway, I'm thinking of planting this on the bottom chain link fence as a barrier.

What do you think? I'll post a couple of pics.

-Ron-

Thumbnail by RWhiz

Here's another image.

-Ron-

Thumbnail by RWhiz

And one more....

-Ron-

Thumbnail by RWhiz
Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Ron, I think any Caesalpinia would look great at your place. It is beautiful and might look nice interplanted with C. gillesii or C. pulcherrima. I think it would like great on your hillside, but I'm not sure it would hide a chain link fence if you are looking to hide it. Your Mexican Flame Vine would look great along the chainlink fence. Passiflora Alata "Ruby Glow" or Thunbergia greggii would work too. Do you have Calliandra tweedii or Calliandra haematocephala? Those would look great at your house too. Do you have a Hylocereus undatus? If not, you need that for your garden!

I hear bullmastiffs are awesome dogs. I have a Great Dane myself. I'd love to see a picture of your girls if you have one available.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Gosh Clare, I'm glad someone asked. Here's a pic of my girls. Bette, the dark little wiry one is the 'boss". Greta, all 135 pounds of her is as sweet a dog as anyone could wish for. They absolutely adore one another and never fight. Greta is kind of like the 'mother'.

Actually, I do have a mexican/sonoran variety of Caesalpinia pulcherrima (you know, the blue/green leaf one) on the cul-de-sac--right next to a Calliandra californica and a bit away from a Calliandra haematocephala. In the back yard on the hillside, I have a nice Caesalpinia gilliesii and a Calliandra surinamensis.

I've got some small passifloras in pots which I will plant out next spring. Among them are: P. Elizabeth, P. coccinea, P. Pink Panther. I also have in pots a Thunbergia laurifolia, a T. grandiflora 'variegata', and a T. coccinea. I've got the Mucuna species that Logee's sells in a pot also. I have something extra special, but I'm not sure it will survive. I received a Bauhinia kockiana from someone in Singapore, but it was in such bad condition, that I think it is questionable to its ability to survive. It was dessicated and had almost no roots in the three weeks of its transit.

In the winter, I keep things outside on the covered balcony, in pots. If they survive the winter, they get planted out the next spring. We'll see what happens.

By the way, my Petrea which I planted out this last spring is doing great!

Here's a pic of Bette and Greta.

-Ron-

Thumbnail by RWhiz

Oh, Ron, they are adorable. Thanks for posting that. Here's a picture of Duchess, my Blue Merle Great Dane below. She's about 110 lbs. and is incredibly sweet. Duke, my other baby, is a Rottweiler/German Shorthair Pointer mix, and is over 100 lbs. as well.

You've got a lot of the same plants that I do. I have that same Mucuna species from Logee's, and I do believe it will bloom this winter. In fact, it is huge now, and I think it is starting to put on buds.

I hope your Bauhinia kockiana survives! Did you see this link: http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tropical/msg0819495728189.html ? My special thing to keep alive this winter is my Passiflora Quadrangularis "Warmlands." I don't think it can tolerate temperatures below 45 so I may have to bring it inside for the winter. I have a little baby Petrea that a friend just sent me, and I hope to keep that alive as well. It might be happier in the ground. It is just stunning when it is in flower.

Do you have plumerias? I think your hillside would look great with some plumerias staggered on the hillside. What do you think?

Nasturtiums are easy to grow and grow very well under almost any conditions and might look nice on your hillside scrambling about. I love the bright yellow and orange colors.

This is Dutchess:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

This is Duke:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

Here are some of my nasturtiums:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

More nasturtiums:

Thumbnail by Clare_CA