Durable containers?

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Any suggestions from those pros? I want to transplant my 4 ft. Leyland Cypress that sit on either side of my garage. Eventually I will have to plant out but in the meantime...
I want LARGE containers that I can grow annuals in as well as the tree. I am thinking concrete or clay. I do not want borring but neither do I want to spend several hundred dollars on 2 containers!

My most important 'look for' is DURABLE - I hate it when you get a container and the paint, etc. peels off within a year!

Is concrete my best option? Also, local nursery or Home Depot type store for selection?

Rutland , MA(Zone 5b)

have you ever seen the larege plastic round tubs that have the rope handles on either side. i think they sell them as laundry baskets at stores like walmarts.
don't think they cost more that seven dollars. you can paint them to make them look more attractive, and since they are lighweight, they can be moved around if need be. hope that helps.

Long Beach, CA(Zone 10b)

So true- I used to have an 'issue' with plastic. hehe When you start collecting plants like a fiend though, that flies out the snob window. There are so many great paints for plastics now. There are even some for making them look stone-like.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

The only bad thing about the plastic..one of my cypress is currently in plastic. Every time we have a hurricane (can't believe I just said that!) it falls over! During Frances (or maybe Ivan - can't remember) the tree actually came out and the pot ended up way in my back yard! I figure this behavior will only get worse as they trees get taller. They grow so fast too - that's why I wanted to go ahead and get big containers.

Snellville, GA(Zone 7b)

To prevent the tubs, pots from tipping over in high winds try putting crushed stone, rock in the bottom 1/4 container. Adding weight adds stability. You could even put a concrete block in the bigger containers.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Well duh riceke! Why didn't I think of that!!! It's funny why the obvious doesn't occur to me sometimes!!! That is a great solution - helps with drainage plus I can get those artsy containers that would be attractive as well.

Thanks!!!

I use the Rubbermaid tubs with the rope handles and paint them terra cotta or hunter green with the new Fusion paint by Krylon. (Originally used reg Krylon, but had to really sand well before painting to make it stick.) DH wrapped the handles with black electrical tape. Makes them last longer and they aren't obvious in the planting.

Plants I've had/ have planted in them: duranta; Buford hollies; wisteria; small palm tree; yellow daisy bush; azeleas.

DH also connect 2 together with a short piece of flexible black drainage hose and made a small water garden. The fish can travel back and forth between the two tubs keeping mosquito larva at non-existent levels.

Another 'container' DH found were a couple of short, black, slightly V-shaped garbage cans (look more like 10-15 plastic containers) that have worked really well for his pineapple plants.

Each of these 'containers' cost between $4-$6 each.

barrington, IL(Zone 5a)

hi nc,

is there a cosco warehouse store near you? they ocassionally carry large pots made of acrylic(they also have terra cotta ones from italy that are very heavy) that are only about $15. also, if there's one near you, Frank's nursery & crafts is going out of business and is having great clearance sales.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks Dstartz, and Nicksgrammy!! Two very good ideas! Yes, we do have cosco, my mom-in-law shops there! Thanks again!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.