Attaching plastic to 1 3/8" metal poles

Tri-Cities, WA(Zone 7b)

I have a very sturdy greenhouse frame made of 1 3/8" galvanized steel poles. It used to have a liner which was fitted to the frame, but the liner has cracked due to sun damage this year. Does anyone know how to attach sheets of plastic to a frame like this? I've seen special clips for certain sizes of PVC, but I haven't been able to come up with a solution for this.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

My favorite method is an aluminum extrusion and teck screws -the one I use has [wiggle wire] that holds the plastic in the C chanel that is screwed to the metal frame--most comercial Greenhouse material suppliers in this area stock it.- it has the advantage of being easy to instal and easy to remove and re- use whenever the plastic needs replaceing--I dont remember the name of the Co. that has the patent on it --but it works good for me--Michael

League City, TX(Zone 9a)

Poly-Tex has the Wiggle Wire and base listed in their catalog. www.poly-tex.com is their website. Interesting, as I was considering this to attach plastic between the wood posts on my shade house to over winter some large plants.
I couldn't see from the photo in their catalog how to attach it. Do you think it would be possible to screw the base into 4 x 4 wood posts?

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

I screw it to the perimeter of my entire house and it is all wood, just make sure you drill a hole as close to the center of the chanel as you can [for your screw] if you have the screwhead near the side it makes it hard to get the wiggle wire in, I drill a 1/4 inch hole every 2 feet when attaching it to wood. [If I am attaching it to metal I use self drilling metal screws about the same distance] --the 1/4 inch hole allows a # 10 or #12 , exterior deck screw about an inch and a quarter long, to go in far enough to keep the head, in far enough to be out of the way of plastic and wire

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I've got that channel and wiggle wire too but haven't hooked it up yet. Was hoping to replace my plastic this summer but it was too dang wet all the time here!

Michael...quick question...My plastic in two layers inflated (of course). When you put your plastic on did you put on one layer, secure that layer w/the wiggle wire, the put on the second layer and use another wiggle wire for it? OR, did you find an easy way to put both layers on at the same time and secure both layers with only one wiggle wire?

(Am trying to figure out how many hands I'll need for this job...last time I had a good crew helping, this time it just might be me and DW doing it.)

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

I put on 2 layers at a time-using tennis balls and poly baleling twine to pull it across. when I tried to do one layer at a time the twine or rope cut the other layer while pulling it over. I put a ball in side and tie a slip knot over the plastic around the ball. I then get inside the house and push the plastic with a stick [that has duct tape wraped around the end] as my wife and sometimes a kid or two try to pull the plastic over the house.I then shake and pull the bottom layer tight as I can, and if there is any wind I fasten it temporary with a short wiggle wire, every 10 feet or so. after I get the top layer straight and right I then fasten both layers with a single wiggle wire, removing the temps. as I get to them. I have used two wiggle wires in the past -- but --It didn't work as well as what I just described---Hope this helps, -- michael

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Thanks Michael. That's how we've done it, with the tennis balls..sure makes it easy , eh!?

I'll give your system a shot. Last time (before wiggle wire) we put the layer on, stapled it, then put the other layer on, stapled it. I think this is a much better system with the wiggle wire. Thanks for the input! Much obliged.

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

My pleasure --hope it works well for you, -Michael

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.