I.D. Please

Citrus Heights, CA(Zone 9b)

I think this is a P. caerulea. It only has 3 lobes on one leaf but they started out with just one . The new leaf I think will be 5 . Anybody?

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Floresville, TX(Zone 9a)

Nice looking seedling... I don't know exactly what species, but I do know that some species when small have far different looking leaves than they will when they reach maturity.

I thought in that pot I put 3 caerulea seeds. That's why I am thinking that.Clare, T Man helllllllllllp!

Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Rich, the very top leaf looks like P. Mollissima, but I agree that it is too soon to tell. P. Caerulea is usually five-fingered and darker green.

I never had any P. mollissima. I found these seeds at the nursery in a orange fruit. The weird thing is the P. allardii has a 3 leaf lobe. Page 48 in Vandeplanks book. It also has orange fruit. It's a cross of P. caerulea and P.quadranglaris. I don't think they had any allardii there. Contance Eliott is a white variety .

Picture Contance Elliot

Thumbnail by RichSwanner
Ventura, United States(Zone 10b)

Can you go back to the nursery to see which Passifloras they carry? Most carry the most common kinds. Once the leaves develop a little more, I think you will be able to pick out some traits which will help you to identify it. If it is an P. Edulis, it should have three-lobed shiny leaves.

San Diego, CA

I had a Caerulea seedling that was about 6 feet long or more and was only just starting to get it's 5 lobbed leaves, so you really can't alway's tell by the lobes on a seedling until it gets some size to it. I believe that you are correct about it being Caerulea, but only time will tell.
Mark

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

My caerulea looked JUST like that!...looks like caerulea to me...
Once it aged, it got the correct shaped leaves, but looked just like that to start with...
-seedpicker_TX

I'll get a new pic tomorrow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.