mystery iris

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

I got this bearded iris from my great aunt about 20 years ago. She had it in her garden for years so it is obviously an old hybrid. Anyone have any idea of what the hybrid might be called?

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Pleasant Grove, UT(Zone 6a)

Sure is pretty! Sorry I don't know the name!

Willamette Valley-OS, OR(Zone 8a)

Todd-
With the Coloring in the Photo...
It's a Little Hard to Tell But I Would Say...
'Indian Chief'(Ayres-1929).

If the Standards Do Close Tighter...
I Would Say...
'Beowulf'(Schreiner's-1936).

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

The colour of the picture is pretty much true-to-life. It really does have quite reddish-brown falls. I found some pics of Indian Chief on the net, and they look too purple to be this one. I could not find any pics of Beowulf. Meanwhile, several written descriptions of Indian Chief certainly do seem to match my mystery. Certainly, the year of intro is about right as this iris is indeed quite old.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Todd, it looks like my Tall Bearded "King Tut" Sass1926 This is the true color after mutiple attempts. (I take printed photos form film and match color to the bloom same day for accuracy.)

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

It certainly looks closer to King Tut than the other suggestions (at least from pics I've seen of the other suggestion) Thanks to everyone who has helped.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

I don't know what it is, but I'm sure I have it too. I'll have to look thru my photos to be absolutely certain of course. Or wait until it blooms again next spring.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

It blooms almost brown in my 1/2 shade garden. Classic form of a historic--I LOVE it!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.