Thumbnail by Amaryllisgal
Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Not me!

Auburn Hills, MI(Zone 6a)

not me thank God

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I think Pattischell's daughter.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Yes, she might actually live in that area... but I STILL contend that some lone sinner in that area needs to 'fess up and get right with the gods that control hurricanes, LOL. (No disrespect to God... it is a joking remark.)

Santa Clara, CA(Zone 9a)

Probably not too many people any more or at least has no power.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I dunno who lives right there but begin to believe in the Seminole protection spell over Tampa Bay. Isn't BT right there somewhere?

I think so, and so is Floridian.

Refresh my mind about the Seminole protection over Tampa Bay, please.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Oh wow, it may have been Floridian who told it. It was on one of the storm posts I think right after Charley did that sharp right to avoid Tampa Bay. Or maybe it was Jeanne took her right turn. I made a quick scan but couldn't find it.

Well, someone will remember it. I have great faith in those ole tales... They knew more than they let on to the "White Man" LOL

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

There was a real killing storm back when and the Seminole put a protection spell on Tampa Bay to prevent that from happening again.

Willamette Valley-OS, OR(Zone 8a)

BuriedTreasures(Chris) Lives in Valrico.
I Think 10 to 20 Miles to the NW of Bartow.
Has Anyone Heard From Him?

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

Looking at a more detailed map, it appears that the three hurricanes cross at a town called Fort Meade.

I have often wondered how the Indians of Florida dealt with hurricanes. Could they tell that an approaching storm was a hurricane rather than a regular storm? I wouldn't doubt that they learned to pick up on subtle warning signs. They would probably think modern people are stupid or insane that they can't tell that a hurricane is coming unless a metal thing way up in the sky to tells them so. ;-)

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Read some of the early accounts of explorers like De Sota. At least in bygone days they didn't have expensive, hard to replace structures.

High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

imway2, you're right. With the major population growth in Florida, especially the coastal areas, there's a lot more potential for damage. Also consider the man-made landscaping with non-native plants (yes, I have quite a few of them myself!) Many of the ornamental species we grow are unable to withstand severe weather.

Well, the Indians may have been able to read warning signs but the Spanish and Portugese Flotillas certainly did not. Just look at all the sunken ships around Florida.

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Folks in the early days didn't get help from the government or other groups either. They had no choice but to suck it up or leave.

Don't even get me started on that one, John! I'd be thrown off here for sure. LOL.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Chris (BT) lives much closer to the crossroads than me but Frances tracked right over our house. We missed Jeanne, we were in Kentucky and let me tell you it's much worse being away and worrying than to be there in the storm!
We have lots of debris and a Queen Palm doing a bit of a lean. It will probably come down if we have another storm. I hate to just take it down but that might have to happen...hmmm...pool fencing or palm tree?? LOL

I'm not the one that posted about the Seminole Indians and the spell but I'd love to hear about it. I haven't been able to find anything online...

Stacey

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Ok LOL

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Found it~~!! It was TampaSal on Sept 12 in the Ivan (not terrible) thread. she wrote:

. If the current path runs true, I am going to call our friend, Jerry, who is 1/4 native american, and kiss him!! There is an old tale that goes around Tampa Bay stating that many, many years ago, there was a horrible storm that devastated the Tampa Bay area. The native americans put a spell on the area after that to prevent another such devastating storm. God Bless the native american shamans!!! :)

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Wonder has she posted lately?

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

Persistance pays off!

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

My daughter lives in Bartow. She still doesn't have power yet, and has set up a tent, grill, chairs, battery TV, etc. outside. Because she makes pets of all her animals, she has to share these amenities with three horses, a flock of hens, and one very macho rooster. LOL This is in addition to two dogs and who knows how many cats! Her main concern is flooding, the Peace River is trying to become the Mississippi!
Pati

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Pati's baaack. hoorah

Gordonville, TX(Zone 7b)

:-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.